Looking for a gunsmith to rebarrel 700

backyardsniper

I have a rem 700 sps in 7mm ultra and I'm looking to have it rebarreled to a 300 ultra. It has had some work done bolt knob installed and bolt fluted. I have never had any work done like this so i need a gunsmith that has the time to talk to me and go over the options with me. I will get the parts or let the smith order them. I just need it rebarreled and put in a stock. I can put it in the stock myself if nescesary. If there is anybody on here that does that kind of work i would just as soon use a small shop as deal with one of the big name guys where you are just a number.

Thanks
justin

Where do you live? I am having my 700 rebarreled with a stock and trigger job at Willamette Valley Gunsmithing Company. He does excellent work in Eugene Oregon.

Give DPG a call

Lorenzo Young
deadlyprecisiongunsmithing.com
[email protected]
801 735-4829

He goes by Grit on the boards and is a sponsor here and is doing a rebarrel job for me as we speak he has always taken the time to talk to me even about little things that don't matter much and his customer service has been top notch.

Jordan

Also Looking for a smith in texas to rebarrel a m700 with light 270 win in fast twist for hunting and only shooting heavier hammers . Just want 1 moa or a little better. prefer stainless. i also have a Kimber hunter in 270 win and i like the light barrel on it and would consider rebarreling it too. Want 7 or 7.5 twist and 24". Please no judging on these simple, under 500 yd hunting rifles. Dont want premium high dollar. I have those and these are truck guns. Thanks for any recommendations. Would like to keep turn key cost under 500 if possible or not much more.

Also Looking for a smith in texas to rebarrel a m700 with light 270 win in fast twist for hunting and only shooting heavier hammers . Just want 1 moa or a little better. prefer stainless. i also have a Kimber hunter in 270 win and i like the light barrel on it and would consider rebarreling it too. Want 7 or 7.5 twist and 24". Please no judging on these simple, under 500 yd hunting rifles. Dont want premium high dollar. I have those and these are truck guns. Thanks for any recommendations. Would like to keep turn key cost under 500 if possible or not much more

A new barrel costs about 300.00 alone for what you've described. I don't do work for the public, but if a friend wanted that setup he'd also have to buy the reamer, another 150.00. I'm not knocking what you want but as you can see that leaves very little for the smith, even if he already has the reamer.
What you can do is buy a barrel like you want off Ebay, a new take off, that should save you a lot of money if you don't get in a hurry or pay too much for a take off. I would install that barrel but you'd have to ask your smith if he'd do it.

If you buy an unknown barrel off of e-Bay, or buy a barrel of questionable quality, you may have trouble getting a gunsmith to do your work. Any work that comes from their shop reflects upon them, personally. It may not be the 'smithing, but the quality of the barrel, but the 'smith will likely be the one who gets bashed it you're not happy..... So, don't expect a gunsmith to risk his reputation on sub quality components. (added): It doesn't have to be a Krieger, but there are a few I won't even consider. If I have to work with sub standard components I may as well decline the work, and 'stock' some of my own metal that's been waiting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input? What should expect to pay for a fast twist barrel installed?
Price range from $250 to $350 depending 'which' gunsmith you might choose. I charge $285 for a SAAMI 270 Win chamber, threaded, head spaced, and crowned. Any throating is extra. Controlled round feed, like a pre-64 Win 70 or a 1903 or '03A3 Springfield is extra. A decent barrel blank will run from just under $300 on up, not including shipping cost. Some of the barrel makers charge more for turning those very light contours.

Last edited:
As I said some smiths won't do a take-off barrel off of eBay, but here's an example of a Rem 26" 300 WM I just put on one of my rifles that had a 458 WM barrel on it. I have bought a few take-off barrels and have had good luck with them, but as I said above I don't work for the public, and those that I give the gun to also gets a load that I worked up that will at least do 3/4" at 100, but most are closer to 1/2". The family members who I give the guns to are not into long-distance shooting, most stay under 400 yds, but if the price is an issue for you and your smith will do it I've had excellent results from take-off barrels.

Here's my first 2-shot group with the 26" 300 WM I put on a Rem action with factory ammo. I'd bet the bank I can make it shoot better than this with reloads.

1639243570136.png

Also Looking for a smith in texas to rebarrel a m700 with light 270 win in fast twist for hunting and only shooting heavier hammers . Just want 1 moa or a little better. prefer stainless. i also have a Kimber hunter in 270 win and i like the light barrel on it and would consider rebarreling it too. Want 7 or 7.5 twist and 24". Please no judging on these simple, under 500 yd hunting rifles. Dont want premium high dollar. I have those and these are truck guns. Thanks for any recommendations. Would like to keep turn key cost under 500 if possible or not much more.

These guys are in Texas. I had them do work for me on an M77 years ago and was happy with their work.

A quick look at the custom barrel makers that button rifle (which would be the lowest cost) shows none, out of the 4 I checked, that offer a 7 or 7.5 twist in .270.
Just did a rebarrel on a FN Douglas Premium air gaged Stainless turn key under 500 .00 three week turn around I don't think you will find a gunsmith around these days for a 500 .00 barrel job with a quality barrel and guaranteed work

Recent Posts