Gunsmith cost

jaeger19

I have been collecting pieces for a new rifle. Action. Trigger. Stock. What should it cost to "true " a rem action. Put into a mcmillian stock . Put in a jewell trigger. I want to know what the gunsmithing should run to put the pieces togeth r r

I have been collecting pieces for a new rifle. Action. Trigger. Stock. What should it cost to "true " a rem action. Put into a mcmillian stock . Put in a jewell trigger. I want to know what the gunsmithing should run to put the pieces togeth r r

It varies but here's one of the site sponsors just to give you a general idea on services and charges >>> Montour County Rifles.

However, it's best to get with the gunsmith who is going to do the actual work so there's no surprises.

It seems most gunsmiths will want to replace the barrel if the action is Trued. This is because a true Truing job cuts new threads that are concentric to the bore of the action. Are you planning on replacing the barrel?

It seems most gunsmiths will want to replace the barrel if the action is Trued. This is because a true Truing job cuts new threads that are concentric to the bore of the action. Are you planning on replacing the barrel?

I don't have a barrell yet. Action and trigger. I figure to talk with the Smith about the barrel tp buy and then true the action to the barrel.
I would like to drop it into a mcmilliIan stock.

I don't have a barrell yet. Action and trigger. I figure to talk with the Smith about the barrel tp buy and then true the action to the barrel.
I would like to drop it into a mcmilliIan stock.

IIWY, after consulting with a competent/reputable smith, I'd order the parts myself to avoid any awaiting parts delay or excuses (intentional or not) ... but that's just me.

On my last build, I handed all the required parts and all my gunsmith (he's a one man shop) has to worry about was built it.

Good luck!

Cheers!

IIWY, after consulting with a competent/reputable smith, I'd order the parts myself to avoid any awaiting parts delay or excuses (intentional or not) ... but that's just me.

On my last build, I handed all the required parts and all my gunsmith (he's a one man shop) has to worry about was built it.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Thanks. Actually that's what I have been starting to think. A lot of custom builders are building great guns but not exactly what I want. Different trigger. Not quite the barrel. Or different stock.
So I am thinking. Get the pieces and have one build it. I just would like to get an idea on the cost. Part of it is I think I am not sure what's involved.

On my last build, I handed all the required parts and all my gunsmith (he's a one man shop) has to worry about was built it

I agree. This is a very good approach.

There are many good barrel makers out there these days. The three barrels I've bought were from Southern Precision Rifles at bugholes.com. I used Brux and Bartlein and they have worked very well.

Thanks. Actually that's what I have been starting to think. A lot of custom builders are building great guns but not exactly what I want. Different trigger. Not quite the barrel. Or different stock.

jaeger19,

Most (I stress most) Custom gunsmiths can offer you a complete selection of components so you can have exactly the build you want and desire. If you still can't find what you want (which I can't envision), they should be able to make it if possible. If they don't and want to offer packages only, simply walk away.

So I am thinking. Get the pieces and have one build it. I just would like to get an idea on the cost. Part of it is I think I am not sure what's involved.

The best form of pricing is to find the lists of recommended gunsmith which most sites have in the list of offerings. I didn't see one for this site but it was a real quick cursory look. Maybe ask Len or one of the other members may know for sure.

Get their websites, print out their price list then sit back and relax while you compare prices.

Regards.

It varies but here's one of the site sponsors just to give you a general idea on services and charges >>> Montour County Rifles.

However, it's best to get with the gunsmith who is going to do the actual work so there's no surprises.

Sounds about right

$250 to true the.action
$250 to install barrel and finish chamber/headspace

$350 for a nice premium cut rifled barrel

Order a drop in fit mcmillian and you can install the.barreled action yourself.

Installing a jewel trigger on a remington action is a piece of cake

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.