stock shortening, cost?

Buzzsaw

1. can a Fiberglass stock be shortened easily with pad replaced, what would one pay for this?

2. What would be a cost for shortening a wood stock and replacing pad be?

I have had three synthetic stocks lengthened. The Bell and Carlson cost under 150 had B/C do it. The HS precision was under 200 had HS do it. And finally I thought I had a MPI stock. Sent it to them turns out it was a B/C. Since it was there I had them do it. Was $236. Sometimes the pad can not be reused, and the stock usually needs repainted. I recently had a wood stock lenghthed for 125. John Berish Guns did the wood. So , yes they can be shortened.....

Got any tools, Buzzsaw? Lengthening a stock can be challenging; I've done a few. But shortening a stock is not really that difficult. Certainly not difficult enough that I'd pay over fifty bucks for the work. A good quality band saw and drum sander will do the trick.

Make that a10" or 12" DISC sander if you want the butt end flat to apply a pad. If I was looking to have a stock shortened and new pad installed I'd check with several 'smiths in my immediate area. Don't just price, look at some examples of their work, if possible. Asking on an interdnet forum for 'pricing' will get nothing but wild swings in both directions and answers to questions you didn't ask. Different parts of the country have different pricing levels. Trimming the stock off to length, sanding it flat and fitting a new premium pad is about an hours worth of work plus the cost of the new pad.

mcmillan shortened one of theirs for me a couple months ago. replaced pad and whatever touch up for $100including shipping.

I will talk to them at the Dallas safari Club, that may be what I do, but it will hurt the value but my McWhorter is so darn nice, I doubt I will sell it

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.