Gun Show Trends

I've been attending gun shows frequently over the last year or so. As someone pushing 50, I love seeing young men and women at gun shows regardless of their firearm preferences. It's nice to see them carrying on an American tradition. I have really noticed a lack of interest in classic or collectible guns particularly from younger gun enthusiasts. Younger is a relative term so let's just say people in their 20s and 30s. The tables at the gun shows with ARs are flooded with people that appear to be millennials or close to it either way. The tables with Pre-64 model 70s and Ruger #1s have hardly anyone at them and when they do, it's usually guys maybe 50 or older. I understand different generations will have their likes and dislikes but I am also wondering if we are losing our classic or collectible gun enthusiasts? How might this affect gun values in the future if younger gun enthusiasts don't value what have always been considered rock solid investments? Will the market be flooded with what were once considered so valuable to many due to a lack of interest by the new generation of gun enthusiasts? I have also noticed a lot of gun collections being sold recently. We may be in a time where the gun market will shift with younger gun owners being added as of course we unfortunately lose a few older ones.

It's hard to project classic gun values in the future. The gun show scene has definitely changed in the last 20 years. I still see a good amount of traffic, but the quality of vendors and their offerings are continuing to decline. The last couple of years has been abysmal. Dominated by junk and gimmicks. I have been able to sell a few guns.

It's hard to project classic gun values in the future. The gun show scene has definitely changed in the last 20 years. I still see a good amount of traffic, but the quality of vendors and their offerings are continuing to decline. The last couple of years has been abysmal. Dominated by junk and gimmicks. I have been able to sell a few guns.
Agreed! I love the old stuff and wish I loved it and had the money for more long ago. The problem is now is the good old firearms we used as a kid are getting crazy expensive to own compared to the new stuff. I'm not exactly in the younger generation anymore(40) but I know exactly where you guys are coming from. I help get friends and family into guns and they are more into the space age modern guns for the most part. I Like stainless and a little poly every now and than for protection or wet hunting, but will grab the old wood furniture blued beauties more Often than not.

i just dont have the money for the old stuff or the room to store it. and if i did have the old stuff, i'd probably want it to out so i could look at it. i currently have 2 safes stuffed full and have no room to add another. i've always liked the civil war era sharps rifles and want to own one.... maybe one day....

I started to see this trend you guys are speaking of many years ago. All through the late 80's and 90's, I attended every gun show I could get to within Wa, Ore and Idaho and I would blow by the "Black rifle" tables like I hand a strong tail wind, looking for Pre-64 70's, Belgium Brownings, FN's and older Remmy's. Looking back, I do wish I would have slowed down and picked up some of the offerings in the BR's because they were so cheap back then, before they caught fire on the resale market, but I do not regret for one second, the older, wood stocked/blued weaponry that I did pick up as I am still able to fondle most of them even today. They will be passed on to my sons who I have somewhat tried to instill the lore, history and value of these fine guns in. I drove my poor wife nuts back in those days with my obsession for nice rifles, to the point I almost didn't have a poor wife to drive nuts, LOL, but she stuck it out and I curbed my wants (somewhat) so I deemed myself "satisfied", even though the burning desire to get more was still there. As the junk and trinkets started filling the tables of the gun shows and the laws changed for buying used rifles without paperwork, the appeal of even going to them, dropped off significantly for me. I still do hit an occasional gun show, but I don't go with the thought I am going to find what I am looking for anymore. I met a ton of great people at those old shows and some I still stay in contact with today and I do miss that interaction of standing in front of a table trying to figure out if I was being told a BS story or if they really knew what they were talking about. Ok, I got lost and sidetracked on the "old days" guys! Sorry about that.

As the junk and trinkets started filling the tables of the gun shows and the laws changed for buying used rifles without paperwork, the appeal of even going to them, dropped off significantly for me. I still do hit an occasional gun show, but I don't go with the thought I am going to find what I am looking for anymore. I met a ton of great people at those old shows and some I still stay in contact with today and I do miss that interaction of standing in front of a table trying to figure out if I was being told a BS story or if they really knew what they were talking about.

We've all noticed the downward trend of the 'local' gun shows. And yes, parking prices and admission prices have surged due to the cost of booking space. The last local show I attended 2 or 3 weeks ago was reasonably well attended but as noted, the prices were somewhat breath taking! This is an active gun community so the variety was good even though the AR crowd was significant. Ammo prices and components were a little too high as well. I did manage to find one 8 lb keg for a great price and bought it.

If you really want to attend an excellent gun show, make plans to attend the Antique Arms Show:

2023 Antique Arms Show
January 20, 21 & 22, 2023
Set Up: January 19, 2023
https://www.antiquearmsshow.com/

You can book rooms in the host hotel for convenience.

This is the older Beinfeld Show now produced by Beinfeld Productions. The Custom Gun Guild Show has been held in conjunction on occasion.

Not everything is antique and I saw a wide variety of rifles, pistols, shotguns and edged weapons. The room was full but easily navigated with spacious aisles.

This is about 1/8 of the show space:

1650644337945.png

I even found a significant selection of 450/400 ammunition for a project I was restoring. An older man and his lovely wife were trying to reduce his collection of ammunition. I was able to put a substantial dent in the table full of ammunition.

Originally we had allocated just one day but ended up returning for a full second day. Good people and lots of fun conversations.

Enjoy!

:)

Gun shows have nothing but fudd guns and overpriced SKSs and Mosins. I would go if those garbage rods were selling for the $69 they are actually worth.

I love the plastic bags of assorted brands of ammo or worn boxes of green tip 5.56 for $2 a round. But hey man "they are just tying to keep the lights on you know?"

Gun shows have nothing but fudd guns and overpriced SKSs and Mosins. I would go if those garbage rods were selling for the $69 they are actually worth.

I love the plastic bags of assorted brands of ammo or worn boxes of green tip 5.56 for $2 a round. But hey man "they are just tying to keep the lights on you know?"
you need a $900 sks to turn that frown upside down young fella

Between the garbage and gimmicks, the quote below sums up why I no longer attend them. Was a good time. Now, not so much unless you are looking for a cheap knife, military stuff, or a hand grenade paper weight.

Just my observation. The gun shows locally aren't worth attending. Inflated prices, $15 for parking, gangbangers pooling their money to buy a SKS and very little I'm interested in.

I don't think the St. Louis gang bangers are pooling money though. They bring all of their baby mamas to pick out handguns. I can't decide if they are considering legal ownership, straw purchase, or scratching the serial numbers. I doubt it is option #1.

We've all noticed the downward trend of the 'local' gun shows. And yes, parking prices and admission prices have surged due to the cost of booking space. The last local show I attended 2 or 3 weeks ago was reasonably well attended but as noted, the prices were somewhat breath taking! This is an active gun community so the variety was good even though the AR crowd was significant. Ammo prices and components were a little too high as well. I did manage to find one 8 lb keg for a great price and bought it.

If you really want to attend an excellent gun show, make plans to attend the Antique Arms Show:

2023 Antique Arms Show
January 20, 21 & 22, 2023
Set Up: January 19, 2023
https://www.antiquearmsshow.com/

You can book rooms in the host hotel for convenience.

This is the older Beinfeld Show now produced by Beinfeld Productions. The Custom Gun Guild Show has been held in conjunction on occasion.

Not everything is antique and I saw a wide variety of rifles, pistols, shotguns and edged weapons. The room was full but easily navigated with spacious aisles.

This is about 1/8 of the show space:

View attachment 360272

I even found a significant selection of 450/400 ammunition for a project I was restoring. An older man and his lovely wife were trying to reduce his collection of ammunition. I was able to put a substantial dent in the table full of ammunition.

Originally we had allocated just one day but ended up returning for a full second day. Good people and lots of fun conversations.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the information. Doubt I will make it but thanks anyway.

Went to a gun show a week or two ago. Was in Reno, NV . That was the worst gun show I have been too in ages.
A friend who was with me commented that the show was all about killing people. Not hunting. Nothing but military style guns for the most.
Just a few tables with old Winchesters. Many hand guns though. Highly inflated prices on cheap Simi autos. I was looking for a SAKO 22-250 varmint. Only one Sako in the whole show and it was actually a Browning with a Sako action. No sale. Ammo prices were ridiculous.
So I coughed up my $14 to get in the same as putting it into a slot machine. lol... I live around here, but I don't gamble. If you want to double
your money fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. You'll be ahead then....

A friend who was with me commented that the show was all about killing people. Not hunting. Nothing but military style guns for the most.

I use AR platforms and military rifles to hunt with but I don't use a narrow definition of hunting rifles either.

With all the millions of new gun owners here in the States, it is the militaria products which are selling along with magazines and ammunition. Shotgun sales are off the chart! If the older, wood stocked rifles aren't selling, they don't get shown on the tables. Sellers offer products which make them money.

This is the exact reason I posted the Antique Arms Show which has tons of the stuff you're looking for.

Enjoy!