Gun Show Trends

The last couple shows I attended in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia mirror what a few have said. Besides the high price to park and get in, the crowds of wanna be thugs, you can't buy anything without going to the place of business later. Handguns and black rifles, shotguns - not the hunting type either. Look but don't touch. The shows of old are no more.

Been to several of them over the years. Mostly didn't purchased anything. High prices. I have gotten 2 firearms in that time. A new 28 ga. in a BPS in the boxes, and 22/250 for my son. If you know what you are looking and what goes into a rifle. There are some worth to buy.

In the gun show world, went to a good one I'd say today - for looking though, not buying. The Southern Doubles show. Lots of ultra-high end stuff. Holland & Holland, Boss, Purdey, Piotti, Parker, Fox, you name it in side-by-sides. Mostly English but some Winchester 21's and Browning O/U guns along with some others. Factory reps from Westley Richards, Griffin & Howe, CSMC and quite a few retailers. Five bucks to park and free entry. Pretty much guns and closely associated items. Didn't buy anything LOL.

To be fair…

So many people think their grandpa's worn out 30-30 or sporterized army surplus rifle should command the same price as a new piece, with modern design, modern materials, CNC machining, warranty, etc., because "it is a classic" and has taken a lot of deer over the generations.

This is why I usually, though not always, lean towards a new piece.

Obvious exceptions would include things like pre-64 Win, Savage 99, and Ruger no. 1.

In the gun show world, went to a good one I'd say today - for looking though, not buying. The Southern Doubles show. Lots of ultra-high end stuff. Holland & Holland, Boss, Purdey, Piotti, Parker, Fox, you name it in side-by-sides. Mostly English but some Winchester 21's and Browning O/U guns along with some others. Factory reps from Westley Richards, Griffin & Howe, CSMC and quite a few retailers. Five bucks to park and free entry. Pretty much guns and closely associated items. Didn't buy anything LOL.
But what did you find there that you wouldn't find on Gunsinternational or Gunbroker?

True, but if you know your doubles, you know quality from cr*p.
But fit is everything in a shotgun and many would let interested parties "test-drive" them also. Years ago if you were interested in a Krieghoff you better not talk to Hal DuPont about one - he would have one on your doorstep in a couple days. No credit check, no FFL, no signed papers - no nothing.

But what did you find there that you wouldn't find on Gunsinternational or Gunbroker?
Can't handle them on GB.
True, but if you know your doubles, you know quality from cr*p.

Knowing the details of the particular firearms you're looking to purchase IS important, you're right.

BUT... it is certainly NOT the end all for purchasing high end firearms.

Condition is the driving force behind actually seeing and handling fine firearms. In the rarefied atmosphere of high end and ultra high end double guns, just looking at a few pictures is NOT enough to guarantee the sale. There is too much money at stake to simply glance at a couple of pictures to convince yourself that a high end, fancy double gun is worth the investment. Well, that is unless you have more money than God and really don't pay any attention to value and condition.;) And there are folks like this but not the majority by any means. Looking at and handling in real life, on the scene, answers all the questions left unanswered by a few pictures and a delusional description.

Besides, there is always weight and balance to get a feel for which pictures can't do at all. Checking the action for fit and the pivot pin for tightness. Then there is the chamber and barrels to examine. Qualifying a purchase such as this requires hands on, in-person examination.

:)