Management vs. Trades and Labor questions

I'd do it. Don't take your foot of the gas though. Invest those 700 hours in yourself. Leadership books & business classes, with topics like: management, financial literacy, budgeting, excel, coaching. Most important is written and verbal communication skill development. Find a mentor or two. Network with other local leaders. Stay out of the office politics. It's a whole new level of petty gossip and bull-pucky in office environments.

Getting into management will open a lot of doors for you, if you do what 90% of other's won't (invest in yourself). If the 10 year shutdown turns into two years from now, you may have a better chance of landing on your feet. Leadership skills are transferable across industries.

Con's:
  • You'll likely lose all your work buddies. Maybe not right away, but eventually. You'll be "one of them." You'll make new friends, so it'll be OK
  • Your health could suffer more in a management position. Same diet, with potentially less physical activity/movement will wreck your health. We had a saying at my last job, "sitting all day is the new smoking."
This is the best advice so far! Look at it as a new trade that you need to up your qualifications and certifications. Take advantage of mgmt supported classes as well as every financial program available. Mgmt ALWAYS appreciates mgmt team members adding to their education and knowledge base.

The most difficult personnel issue is establishing work is business with former buddies and get understanding you both have jobs to do. Nothing personal.

It will take time to transition but you have to decide your level of commitment.

I have hired hourly folks into transitional positions and there will be bumps and bruises. They were all successful with support. If you feel you will have the support thru growing pains, it can be the most rewarding step in your total work career.

As others stated, only you can decide if it's time for a change. It sounds to me you are ready to take the step.

Best of luck!

Are we talking production job or skilled trades work?

I think it matters. Taking the job is probably the right choice, but leaving and moving on may end up being the result.

I am a degreed engineer with a career in Pulp and Paper/Packaging in Operations, Maintenance, and Engineering. Most of my experience is in union shops. I was the first engineer to manage the maintenance of this specific large southern paper mill - in the past, the senior maintenance manager had been a union maintenance worker who transitioned into management. I had a dual career in that I was also a National Guard officer in the Infantry so I had some additional leadership training and experience.

First - you may take a pay cut. I made less than almost all my maintenance crew because they worked a ton of overtime. I was salaried so I did not get overtime pay nor extra time off. Paper mills run 24-7 and tear up 24-7. If we were not working breakdowns we were working scheduled outages. Other than military deployments, this was the most time demanding job of my career.

I had seven union contracts in my back pocket - it was old mill that started in 1930s and every trade was a different union with a different contract. I used the "Golden Rule" 90% of the time - I treated everyone the way I wanted to be treated. When someone chose to not like the Golden Rule approach, I pulled out their contract - typically peer pressure straightened that issue out.

Smartest thing I ever did was to set up my most ornery workers as temporary supervisors when I got called away for a military training event. It opened their eyes as the crew made a point of being especially ornery to them.

I ran the maintenance for about 5 years - one of my favorite and rewarding career steps but it took a toll with extremely long hours.

I'm a degreed engineer and never worked on the labor side and quite honestly had a bad taste in my mouth about unions from childhood over the way may Dad was treated. I did work for 43 years in design, construction and operation of power plants, sometimes in a union environment but mostly not, and mostly in Right to Work States. My observations kinda line up this way. When there is a good relationship between management and labor you can probably make a move and it will turn out OK. But if you are working in an environment where there is animosity between labor and management or between different representation between trades it can be bitch. You will likely end up on the outs with your current workmates/friends. You could end up being seen as a traitor.

Be careful about the overtime issue. You will likely be an exempt employee. As management you may be required to work overtime without pay unless the company has a policy to pay for overtime. Also you may also want to check on how sick leave will work.

Whatever your decision I hope it works out for you.

Recent Posts