Gun recoil

Clint Tyler

I was looking at the new .308 marlin express and was wondering what kind of recoil to expect. I have never shot a .308. For those that have what is the recoil comparable to:

.243, .25-06, .270, .30-06, .300 win ?????????????

Thanks

More recoil than 243, maybe a little more than the 25-06 and way less than the others. Of course, it all depends on how you load the cartridges.

their are alot of things that play into recoil other than the round being shot , the shape of the stock the weight of the gun the length of the barrel.
Is this gonna be a custom gun or the factory elver gun? If you have ever shot the 30-30 in the Marlin 336 then you can expect a little bit more recoil than that but a bit less than the 35 Rem in that gun which has a suprising amount of recoil ,not that its bad just a bit more than one would expect.

I got into a kick with the lever guns about 10 yrs agao and I know have the 30-30 35 Rem , 444 and 45-70. I have thought about wildcatting the 444 or the 45-70 by necking the case down to 30 cal and shooting the big round nose bullets , it should give velocities in the 2500-2700fps range and that would be in the class with the 30-06.

Try over at www.marlinowners.com, somebody there will know.

James,
I'm surprised that you think the 35 Rem kicks. I wonder if your stock has funny wood grain or something. My 336 35 Rem and my hunting buddy's have very little recoil with 200 gr RN at 2000 fps. It might be that you are so small and skinny! LOL

James hit it perfectly. "Felt recoil" is about perception and many different factors.

Stock material (glass flexes compared to wood), weight of the gun, type of recoil pad, size of butt, angle of butt, LOP, cheekpiece and angle to the face, individual familiarity with recoil and ability to handle etc.

Some guys cannot handle a 308 with everything in their favor and others consider the 308 like a 22.

Only way to know for sure IF you are recoil sensitive is to try it.

BH

Factory rounds of the marlin expess are almost identical in performance to the 308 winchester. The round is only about 0.15" shorter and more body taper. According to a write-up on .308 Marlin Express
the ME has about 10% less capacity and only uses about 2 g less powder. James Jones is right in mentioning "felt" recoil. All depends on the weight of the rifle, speed and weight of the bullet and the type of recoil padd...

Knowing all that, I'd predict the recoil would be a little more than a 270, about identical to a 308, and just a hair (undetectable in hunting situations) less than the good old springfield.

I used to have a lightweight 30-06 and though it kicked like a mule. I picked up a .308 last year after shooting my buddies and fell in love with it. Granted, my gun is a lil heavier, but IMO the .308 has much less felt recoil. Then again...I NEVER felt recoil in my 30-06 when I had an animal in the crosshairs, only at the range. Come to think of it, my Mossberg 835 shooting 3 1/2" No. 4 Turkey mag rounds is the same way....it only kicks at the range! ****, I'm going to stop going to the range and just hunt all year :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.