RECOIL

BIG DOG

I'VE BEEN WONDERING THIS QUESTION EVER SINCE I TRADED MY RUGER 270 FOR MY WINCHESTER MODLE 70 338 WM. WHY DID MY RUGER .270 WIN SEEM TO KICK ALOTTTT MORE THAN THE WINCHESTER .338 WIN MAG DID. IN THE .270 I SHOT PRIMARILY 130 GRAIN BULLETS FROM CORE LOKTS TO PARTITIONS, AND IN MY WINCHESTER I SHOT 200-210 GRAIN BALLISTIC TIPS AND PARTITIONS. EVERYONE THAT I HAVE TALKED TO MINUS A COUPLE OF INDIVIDUALS ALWAY SAID THAT THE .270 HAD NO KICK, BUT I DISAGREE IT WAS THE WORST RIFLE THAT I HAD EVER SHOT. IS IT ME OR IS THERE SOMETHING ABOUT THE ROUND OR WAS IT THE GUN?

THE RIFLE WAS A RUGER M77II SS WITH LAMINATED STOCK, AND A BUSHNELL ELITE 3-9X40. I THINK THE GUN WAS AT 8-81/4 POUNDS. THE STOCK FIT NICE, BUT NOT AS NICE AS THE WINCHESTER.

Bigdog,
It is probably the stock and/or the recoil pad. One day I shot a Ruger 7mm mag and a Remington 30-06. They should have had very similar recoils, but it felt (perceived recoil) like the 7mm was a lot more. I believe that you may be experiencing the same thing.

Rick

Seems rather silly to malign a fine versatile cartridge upon a scenario that can in no way be fault of the same.

Holmes

My Father In Law has a Ruger M77 270 in a wood stock with a good pad on it. His rifle with max loads kicks as hard as my 7mm STW Sendero. Granted my rifle weighs 11 lbs scoped and his weighs 9lbs scoped. You still wouldnt think a 270 shooting 58 grains of H-4831 with a 130gr bullet would jump that much.

I've always felt that the 270 kicked out of proportion to its size. More like a 7mag.

I know it can't, but it always felt that way.

One thing that is normally not taken into consideration is speed of the recoil. I think that the faster it hits you the worse it feels. To me anyway.

I have shot up to the 460wtby and by far the worst recoil I"ve felt has been the 378 wtby. Why I cannot say.

What I can say is I don't like 270, I don't like 378wtby. While I like 280, 06(save one particular rifle)338,375 HH and 375 wtby, 416 rem mag.

Go figure.

Jeff

BIG DOG, I'm sure there are alot of shooters that can add to this because I'm still on the learning curve of rifle ballistics, but I do alot more handgun shooting and I reload everything I shoot in that arena.
There are alot of factors involved including the physical charateristics of the firearm as well, i.e. stock weight and barrell ect. I do know with reference to ammo, that a lighter bullet seems to have more perceived recoil than a heavier one of the same caliber. The heavier bullet will exhibit more muzzle rize. The lighter bullet provides a punch to the shoulder. Generally speaking, the lighter bullet will usually be loaded with a faster burning powder which results in the felt recoil to the shoulder. The heavier bullet uses a slower burning powder which burns further out the barrel which is percieved as a push to the shoulder. With handguns, it's more noticeable because of the light frames and short barrels. In your .338WM, you were shooting 200-210 gn, so even though the caliber is larger the perceived recoil may seem less than the .270 with 130 gn, but all this is subjective. I shoot alot of combat handgun matches, and in that type of shoot I prefer less felt recoil because I don't want the shock. I load a slighty heavier bullet, slower burning powder, for a push into my hands. It seems more controlable. That's a general explanation and if anyone has anything to add, be my guest.
--------------------------------------------

Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

Steve

[ 10-29-2004: Message edited by: PracTac ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.