Gun Dogs

Attachments

• 0877.jpg
    0877.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 56
IMG_6058.jpeg

This is Cedar, our 15 week old Field Bred Golden Retriever puppy that I intend to train as my first bird dog. That breed checks all the boxes for my wife and I so I found one with a good pedigree and so far she seems smart and takes to basic obedience training pretty well.

Even at 9 weeks old she went crazy for bird feathers and is pretty good at tracking when I drag them around the yard for her to find. I plan on using her for upland as well as deer recovery so both of those make me really look forward to working with her this fall when she turns 6 months old and we start heading up to the cabin.

IMG_5971.jpeg

My huntin buddy. He makes me feel like a rockstar trainer when I'm really not. He always amazes me with his ability to adapt to varying situations and habitats. If I could shoot 200 lbs of pheasant and Sharptail I'd probably quit deer hunting just to follow a dog around.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 58
It is interesting that some of the GWPs and WPGs look so much alike! Love those fuzzy faces.
That's due to WPG probably having some GWP in them. In Europe WPG's are called Corthos Griffons. Named after the guy who started the breed in the mid 1800's. He took different breeds and mixed them to create the "Supreme Gun Dog" for dismounted hunters. What breeds he used and in what amount is not completely known. He started the breed with 5 Griffs. They will point and retrieve waterfowl making them a versatile hunting breed.

Last edited: