Oregon area gun dog breeder/trainer?

jebel

I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations for gun dog breeders/trainers. Closer to Portland, Oregon, the better. My preferences are labs or brittanys (but open). My priorities are upland and family-friendly, then waterfowl.

Thanks

There is a place somewhere near Southend of Salem.....
Another further down at Oakland....he has a vast amount of training area and trains all year long....works with owners budgets and time frames....

A client of mine, I guide her a couple times a year for pheasants, is a hunt test and field trial judge and competitor.
Not to mention an avid hunter.
She believes the finest trainer in the PDX area would be Tim and Angela Schilleroff; Sauvie island kennels; 503 621 3204.
I don't know them but I've guided a bunch of hunters with dogs they have trained. W/o exception the dogs are good.
My friend knows a number of Brittany families doing hunt tests. She'll be checking on Brittany pups.
I'm following up on a line of labs out of Idaho. Far and away the best upland hunting labs I've ever seen. Simply put they look like a lab on a pointer frame. ( not a pointing lab) Buddy of mine has a seven year old that's an outstanding Chukar hunter, stamina and speed for a long weekend in hells canyon.
A little further away, Falls City Washington, east of Seattle just off I90, is Jim Cochran. Jim keeps winning in a variety of disciplines. I've used him with a dog that just didn't have the pedigree to be a great hunter. I routinely get offers on her now when I'm guiding. She ain't for sale.
Jim has had Brittanys in the past but it's been a couple of years since I've talked to him.
425 749 6826

Salmonchaser, great detailed response. Thank you. I will follow up on each of these recommendations. I would be interested in the Idaho upland lab contact, if you come up with that. Again, thanks for the great help.

Still haven't heard back on the labs.
For Brittany check out Wind Mountain Kennels; Skamania county; SW Washington 5094277211, also on Facebook. They want to place their dogs with hunting families.
I don't know their dogs but my friend says they always do well in their natural ability test.
My self I've never run my dogs in a hunt test but natural ability is what I'd look for.

Don't know whom salmonchaser is referring to on the idaho labs...but there's a guy had some in idaho falls area...hunter/retriever and antler finders.....
He advertised on Craigslist....
Actually a lot of people advertise their hunting pups on Craigslist....

For Brittany check out Wind Mountain Kennels

I just did, and submitted an application. They look like a strong outfit for Brittanys. Up until making a decision, I'll keep an eye out for both Brittany and lab breeders.

And if I get a Brittany, Sauvie Island Kennels looks like the right place to train it.

What you are looking for is defined as a versatile hunting dog. Go to navhda.org for a list of breeds and their traits. labs are not included, as they don't point, unless you get a pointing lab. The brittany is included, though. We chose the ugly dog - wirehaired pointing griffon - and are quite pleased with them. The best thing I like about navhda is their trials pit the dog against a standard instead of another dog.

IMG_2103.JPG
What you are looking for is defined as a versatile hunting dog. Go to navhda.org for a list of breeds and their traits. labs are not included, as they don't point, unless you get a pointing lab. The brittany is included, though. We chose the ugly dog - wirehaired pointing griffon - and are quite pleased with them. The best thing I like about navhda is their trials pit the dog against a standard instead of another dog.
I also think NAVHDA is a great resource for information on reputable breeding and training.
Given the money spent on a good pup, training, vet bills and the like I think it's a good idea to check with owners who have purchased from a breeder, looking for consistency.
You can certainly hunt upland with labs or Goldens, or Chesapeakes. Done it, had a great time. One of the best upland dogs I ever hunted over was a border collie. There was actually a story about her in the Oregonian outdoors section many years ago.
I run GSPs. At a point (63 years) where I'm considering what my next pups might be. Lots of good options, If I change breeds I'll probably go to a Wirehair pointer.
Good luck, have fun and never spoil your bird dog (y)

View attachment 113284
I also think NAVHDA is a great resource for information on reputable breeding and training.
Given the money spent on a good pup, training, vet bills and the like I think it's a good idea to check with owners who have purchased from a breeder, looking for consistency.
You can certainly hunt upland with labs or Goldens, or Chesapeakes. Done it, had a great time. One of the best upland dogs I ever hunted over was a border collie. There was actually a story about her in the Oregonian outdoors section many years ago.
I run GSPs. At a point (63 years) where I'm considering what my next pups might be. Lots of good options, If I change breeds I'll probably go to a Wirehair pointer.
Good luck, have fun and never spoil your bird dog (y)

Why, you're just a young fella! lol When I was your age, I was still sheep hunting. Now, (74) I'm very glad one of my griffs is a "bootlicker." She doesn't cover much ground, but what she does cover is done in a slow, easy, thorough manner. The male, who is 3 times older at 9, runs all the time. He ranges out to about 75 yds, at which point I bring him back closer. He gets a lot of runners, tho. Whereas Bree, the female, has most of her birds hold the point. I think it's the sex that makes the difference, because they both have a strong hunting drive.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.