gun building question

SA1000

I have a question i would like to ask some of the builders on here.I'm in the process of getting my ffl to start doing some smithing and my build some rifles for clients on their actions they provide.After you build yours and test fire and work up loads to make sure it is at the standard of accuracy your after do you provide them the load data?If so how do you protect your self from one of them if they aren't experienced at reloading and they mess up and get hurt?I just run in to an exfriend trying to demand data for a load i worked up for one of his guns and he has no idea how to reload.I didn't give it to him for his protection and mine.Thanks for and help

There are two areas of great risk to the builder. One is loading ammo and the other is trigger work.

Rifles need to be pressure tested above SAMME specifications before it is given to the buyer and function tested also to make sure that every thing is working well.

Accuracy testing should also be performed if an accuracy guarantee is part of the build.

As you said, it is impossible to know what some people will do to or with a rifle so caution is paramount.

I have had people shoot the wrong caliber ammo in a rifle/pistol or load over loads and have to take the rifle apart and do some non destructive test on it to make sure it was not hurt and is still safe.

So only you can/should decide what level of risk you should be prepared to take.

I recommend that if a person is not or has never been a re loader, that they use factory loads.

If they want to reload they need to start like everyone else and get the book and learn how to use
it.

I never give my load data to anyone unless they are accomplished re loaders. Also loads that are safe in some rifles will be dangerous in other rifles/chambers.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the info.This is the first time I've had this come up just trying to figure out this best way to not have it come up again.The factor ammo would definitely be a way to go.

This seems to me like an opportunity to upsell. You could either hand-load custom ammo yourself, or give the load recipe to a reputable custom ammo loader.

This seems to me like an opportunity to upsell. You could either hand-load custom ammo yourself, or give the load recipe to a reputable custom ammo loader.
He doesn't say which FFL he's applied for, but sounds like an 01 Dealers License as he'll be using "customer supplied receiver". Custom loading calls for a 07 manufactures license or 06 ammunition manufactures license. The added costs/fees to do either add up quickly and then Federal Excise taxes kick in, too. Most would/will chringe at the cost of "custom loaded ammo" and will proceed to tell you how cheap they can buy ammo at WalMart,,,,,,, not that they could buy what it is they need/want there. I know for me the 07 wasn't worth it, so I now operate under 01. For accuracy testing I use the load that loading manuals call the "best"., which usually works out well.

Yes im applying for 01 dealer the taxes and extra costs wasn't worth it right now.If i can get going and it takes off i may get the 07 later.Thanks for the help

I see no harm is giving anyone loading info as long as it's within book specs for the type of bullet and powder charge weight. The standard reduce and work up statement always needs to be said. I can always fall back on the book for a defense.

Barreling firearms barrels is every bit as risky as loading ammo and trigger work. I think maybe even more so. Even with proper handling, a loading error, a plug of dirt, snow, a cleaning patch, etc and the whole gun explodes hurting someone and you will be testing your liability insurance for sure. Almost impossible to prove the obstruction or one time error.

Trigger work doesn't scare me at all. If they shoot someone that is always the fault of who is handling the firearm and the trigger job is usually preserved to be tested and prove you in the clear. Dropping or bumping the gun is negligence of the shooter. Simple physics the weight of the trigger at a couple G's can easily exceed the pull weight of the lighter triggers. Take a 6 ounce Jewel and it will bump fire every time out of the stock.

I have a couple question? On accuracy warranties how long does that last? In your shop, when delivered, 50 shots, 200, 1000? What is reasonable? It left shooting tacks but 1-3 years later it's a 3/4 MOA gun now. Are you giving them a new barrel on your dime?

Thanks for all the info.Yeah the accuracy guarantee I'm not to sure about.Just because a rifle is capable of 1/2 moa group doesn't mean every shooter can shoot that kind of group.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.