Gun build - Scope help PLEASE

Only a scope that has a reticle in the first focal plane FFP will have the same value through its magnification range, be it mil dot, ebr-moa or ballistic hashes. So a scope in the first focal plane such as the viper pst ebr moa with its moa hashes each hash, I believe will be 2 MOA at 6 power or 24 they will be 2 MOA. The viper (second focal plane) with the dead hold BDC the first hash is 1.5 MOA , 4.5 MOA, 7.5 MOA ONLY at it highest manification which is 20x. There are ways to figure out what these hashes value are at different magnifications you just have to figure it out. So they are still usefull you just have to do the work so you know what they are. Nikon has a program for this for thier scopes.

I guess we agree to disagree and thats ok. I have actually killed more elk with my 6.5-284 than my 7mm so I have no doubt the 7mm is more than enough. I actually have a buddy who killed two BIG elk this year with a 25 06: a 390 bull in Utah and a 361 bull in NV. I'm not advocating the use of 25 calibers on elk but there are two very big dead bulls that didn't know the difference. I'm sorry but I just don't buy into the "more is better". I guess I just don't understand the ultra mag craze thats been sweeping the country the last decade. Ok, maybe i understand a little as I'd love to build a 338 edge, but not because i need a bigger caliber to dispatch an elk. I just like guns!

Cabinfever Good Im glad we can agree to disagree and I hope you continue to cleanly take your game. It is appropriately said that putting the shot where it needs to be is more important than trying overcoming poor shots with power. You obviously have the shooting part figured out. And yes I believe than elk will die just the same with a 25-06, 6.5-284, 7 rem mag as being shot with a 338 RUM. I just believe that the 338 will do it better waaayyy out there but yes I have seen "on video" many elk killed at or over 1000 yards with a 7 rem mag and they died the same as they would have been shot with a big 338.

Pyro

agreed......shot placement cannot be stressed enough. I will also say that beyond 1000 yards the .338s really shine over anything else......unless were talking a 50 bmg

teampete

I think you will be happy with the 300 wm for long range applications. Don't be having buyer remorse!LOL!You did good!

Later in life when your out of school and looking to get another rifle, don't over look the 7mm's. My new personal favorite is the 7mm wsm but if Lapua standardizes the brass on the 7mm-300 wsm wildcat, I'm having one made in short order.

If you are not reloading and you want to shoot the bergers, I highly reccomend you try the premium long range bullets by HSM. They are the most accurate factory ammo I have ever shot. Many 1/2 inch groups with several different calibers. I reload, but if I didn't I'd be shooting HSM.

I think a leupold 4.5-14X50 VXIII with a bdc turret would be a fine scope for the money. Vortex seems to be cranking out some quality stuff too.

Best of Luck to you and keep us posted on your new long range rig.

Hey all, thanks for all the replies and I help. I really appreciate it. I am glad to be getting the 300 win mag.

For a scope I am leaning towards a regular vortec vipe 6.5-20 x 44 with a mil dot reticle and target turrets. I can get the scope for 325 OTD. I looked through my buddies scope in this exact model today and I was amazed how nice it looked. Very clear glass. I also am kind of deciding that 700 dollars on a scope at this time is not right. I have a lot of other bills I need to take care of. So I am really considering the viper 6.5-20x44. What do you all think? Really good price for the quality and all. Anyone have any better sugestions in that price range?

I bought this scope but with the Dead hold BDC reticle. for the money, especially at 325$, I really dont think you can beat the vortex viper, with a 30mm tube MOA target turrets ( I happen to like that they are covered) 6.5-20 magnigication, mil-dot or BDC reticle, reputation for relaible/repetative adjustment and lifetime warrenty. I also like that you can read the magnification level from behind the scope as well. These just seem to be very well thought out optics.

Hey all, thanks for all the replies and I help. I really appreciate it. I am glad to be getting the 300 win mag.

For a scope I am leaning towards a regular vortec vipe 6.5-20 x 44 with a mil dot reticle and target turrets. I can get the scope for 325 OTD. I looked through my buddies scope in this exact model today and I was amazed how nice it looked. Very clear glass. I also am kind of deciding that 700 dollars on a scope at this time is not right. I have a lot of other bills I need to take care of. So I am really considering the viper 6.5-20x44. What do you all think? Really good price for the quality and all. Anyone have any better sugestions in that price range?

Sounds like a great starter scope for a real good price. In a few years if your budget allows you can always upgrade.

Sounds like a great starter scope for a real good price. In a few years if your budget allows you can always upgrade. I would recommend an EGW Heavy Duty base and maybe Burris or Weaver picatinny style tactical rings.

Sounds like a great starter scope for a real good price. In a few years if your budget allows you can always upgrade. I would recommend an EGW Heavy Duty 20 MOA base and maybe Burris or Weaver picatinny style tactical rings.

I bought this scope but with the Dead hold BDC reticle. for the money, especially at 325$, I really dont think you can beat the vortex viper, with a 30mm tube MOA target turrets ( I happen to like that they are covered) 6.5-20 magnigication, mil-dot or BDC reticle, reputation for relaible/repetative adjustment and lifetime warrenty. I also like that you can read the magnification level from behind the scope as well. These just seem to be very well thought out optics.
I don't know of any scope other than perhapse something in the Hawke Optics line that will get you anything close to that kind of magnification and those features in that price range.

Personally If I have to choose between larger objective (more light gathering capability) and more magnification I lean towards the larger objective.

Army and Marine snipers have been getting kills at 1000m for a very long time utilizing only 10x and both deer and elk present a much bigger vital zone than a human.

I've read a lot of very good reviews on the vipers, and few harsh criticisms and considered one myself. Instead for my new rig I found a great deal on another conquest 6-20x50mm obj and went that direction.

Just FYI I have been hearing very mixed reviews on the burris Xtreme tactical rings. A gunsmith I talked to after trying 3 set of them threw them in garbage, said they were so bad he couldnt even lap them. There is a thread in the optics forum, http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/vortex-pst-69694/ , where the guy had the same problem with the burris. If you get the vortex ( made by seekins) rings you wont have anything to worry about. Also that scope is available in a 50mm objective fr 60$ more

Last edited:
Ok all thanks for the help again. Now that I have my scope picked out lets pick some base and rings. This scope is just a begineer set up and I plan on upgrading once my funds allow.

What are good base and rings? I want a one piece base and the pictany type sounds good? What does the different MOA stand for on the bases. What rings are good? Vortex makes rings that i hear are pretty good? What is wrong with warne base and ring set up? They are steel as far as I know and very soild. Please help.

Thankss

The 0, 20 or 40 MOA is a cant in the scope base the allows you to get more adjustment from your scope. Go with 20 MOA I went with nightforce base but for price I keep hearing the EGW are very high quality. What I like about the nightforce and seekins bases is they have a little recoil lug built into the base. As far as rings I plan on carring the rifle in a scabbord, or eberlestock pack, so I went with the vortex (or seekins) rings. If not the nightforce ultralights are supposed to be great rings as well. any of these bases or rings combination will perform very well. So bases nightforce, seekins, price EGW. Rings nightforce ultralights 162$ or seekins/vortex 119$ other good rings are the warne and tally

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.