Grouping Problem

Is your barrel free floated after you put the bipod on and try to shoot it with the bipod, some forearms on stocks are not that ridged. Check the free float on your stock when its set up to shoot.
Is the rifle bedded?
Yes, I checked it with folded up paper and the paper moved smoothly along the barrel.

What make/model is the rifle? Is this a new rifle?

What make/model is the bipod?

What type of ammo are you using?

What is your group size at 100 yards?

I too am curious if your barrel is free floating? If it is, can you grab the fore end of the stock and flex it with your hands where it contacts the barrel? If your hands can do it, the leverage of a bipod certainly can.

You mentioned you checked the mounting screws for your scope. How? Did you apply the manufacture's recommended torque specs?
It's a Savage model 116 6.5x284, have a Harris bi-pod 6"-9", using hand loads nosler brass, Berger 135 Classic Hunter,Federal primers, group is 1/2" with or without bipod, barrel is free floated, if I apply enough pressure I can get the stock to move some, I applied manufacturers specs installing my scope.

How many shots are you shooting to comfirm zero? One of the take aways from the hornady podcast on statistics and group size was the need for enough data to have confidence in the result. This same concept applies to your zero.
I normally shoot 4 shots to confirm my zero.

Attachments

• IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 21
Do you have anything on the end of the muzzle like a suppressor or brake? If so, check its torque. Alternatively, shoot without the muzzle device…if you have one…and compare results.

Is it bedded? Ultimately if it holds zero with the bipod on then I wouldn't worry about it.
If it isn't bedded thats were I would look at for the change.

A gun is a big tuning fork.
For my hunting guns, I load develop off a Harris bipod in the dirt, because that's always how I shoot in the field.
If I set a gun developed this way onto sandbags and/or bench rest, that gun will not shoot as well (with that load).
For a BR gun, I load developed off Edgewood bags/heavy sand/Farley rest.
It takes no more than a change of sand type to mess up this gun. And it's a 17lb gun with a well bedded BR stock and perfect balance set.

I know a lot of people want to shoot their best during load development. Many assume best is with a bench rest.
I suggest that it's better to develop with what you will actually use beyond development.
So I wouldn't develop with a lead-sled/evaluator if I need my best from a bench rest.
I wouldn't develop off a bench rest if I need my best from a bipod.
Also, I shoot better off a bipod in the dirt, than bags on a rest. So I wouldn't mix rests in reverse either.

I am having a issue with my shooting and need advice from the guru's. I'm sorry for the long post but wanted to give all the details. I have a 6.5x284 with a Zeiss 6x24x50 scope. I have checked all the screws, scope is mounted solid. I zeroed the rifle at 100 yds. I did not have my bipod on the rifle while zeroing off the bench rest. I put my bipod on the rifle and went to shoot at a target I have set up at 439 yds. After 3 shots not hitting, I went to see where I was hitting since I have a wooden backstop set up. I was hitting 4-6" high and 6-8" to the left. There was only a 2 mph wind. I assumed it was something I was doing causing this. But decided to go check my zero just to be sure. When I checked I was now a inch low but my left and right was dead center! This is without a bipod. So I adjusted up the 1". Put bipod back on and went to shoot again. After 2 shots not hitting target I went to look and was hitting 6-8" high. I went and checked my zero with bipod on, I am 1" high! Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!
What stock is on your rig??

What's strange about this whole thing is last year I had no problems. But I can't remember if I zeroed with bipod or not. Monday supposed to be a good day to shoot. I plan on shooting.

I got a chance to shoot this morning. It seems the problem was I needed to rezero my gun after putting bipods on. I have attached two pictures of my target, one at 440 yds and one at 620 yds. Thanks to everyone for helping me! I really appreciate it!!

Attachments

• IMG_6294.jpeg
    IMG_6294.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6306.jpeg
    IMG_6306.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 18
I'd be bedding that stock and reinforcing it or better yet changing that stock out if I lost zero by putting it on a bipod or taking it off a bipod. I had a shift on my 308 with a cheap cheesy plastic stock from loading the bipod heavily vs letting it sit on the bipod. It was less than an inch but too much, I bedded and reinforced the stock and that problem is gone. Same zero off a pack, off bags, off the bipod, offhand too. I have other rifles with plastic stocks that didn't have the same issue, even though they are just as flimsy feeling.

Your rifle obviously shoots well and your load is solid, I'd be all over it finding out why it changes like that. Maybe you can borrow a high end bipod and see if that helps? I use an accutac, but have used Harris as well and no issues but for your rifle to lose zero and still group well there is something weird going on. It would drive me nuts.

I'd be bedding that stock and reinforcing it or better yet changing that stock out if I lost zero by putting it on a bipod or taking it off a bipod. I had a shift on my 308 with a cheap cheesy plastic stock from loading the bipod heavily vs letting it sit on the bipod. It was less than an inch but too much, I bedded and reinforced the stock and that problem is gone. Same zero off a pack, off bags, off the bipod, offhand too. I have other rifles with plastic stocks that didn't have the same issue, even though they are just as flimsy feeling.

Your rifle obviously shoots well and your load is solid, I'd be all over it finding out why it changes like that. Maybe you can borrow a high end bipod and see if that helps? I use an accutac, but have used Harris as well and no issues but for your rifle to lose zero and still group well there is something weird going on. It would drive me nuts.
Yes, i agree! I am definitely going to find a solution.