bullet grouping ?

Might as well put my input on the derailment to the initial question. You don't need high magnification to hit little things at distance. My friends and I will occasionally play around while shooting a grand and turn our scopes down as far as possible and see who can get the longest hit steaks. I run a 4-16 power and at 16 power, clay pigeons are are in trouble at 1000yards. At 4 power 1/2 gallon milk jugs are about as small as I can consistently go. Holding on and making small groups isnt the problem with low magnification. Seeing and finding the target is the problem. If you can't see it you can't hit it. So give yourself whatever magnification you need to see the target. Magnification is all personal preference, so give yourself what you need to get the job done. Even if it is far different than someone else uses. If you can see the target and hold steady, you can hit it. Even if the retical completely obscures the target, just keep track of where it is. As soon as it dissapears behind the cross point. Touch it off.

Kyle

You can hit a 1000 yd target with a 4x scope.
I could probably walk shots into a really big target at 4x. No use in that for me..
I use 8.5x25 Mk4s at 25x for groundhogs. It is very rare that I reduce power, as the field of view even at 25x is plenty enough ~300yds & beyond. As far as mirage, you're fooling yourself if you think you can optically remove mirage with lower power. It's still there just the same. And you can't hold off for it without enough power to read it.

Hello,

AND that is why the "aim small, miss small" only works on the square gun range where you do not have to worry about target moving. You do not have to worry about target surroundings. You do not have to worry about the TOF since target is not going to change direction/position/location.
In the real world..especially when referring to humans as the intended target; FOV is just as important as magnification. You just shot a member of counter-terrorism team!!

In "Theory" your magnification approach works but in "Practical Applications" it does not work. So many variables come into play such as mirage, fov needed, etc etc.
Just as in "Theory" a .5 inch group at 100 yards would be a simple x5 mathematical equation for 500 yards but in "Practical Applications" it just does not always work like that...So many variables come into play even if conditions are the same.

THEIS

Well I don't think many on this forum are going to be shooting at human targets. In fact probably most have never even thought about shooting at a human being.

This is a long range hunting forum. personally on my hunting rifles I like a lower power. 4-12 or 6-18 is about right. On my target rifles all I can get. 42X to 60X is about right for me.

a half minute rifle with the proper cartridge and the right optics no reason you couldn't hit 8" steel at a 1000 yrds. If you are good enough you might do better than that.

Well I don't think many on this forum are going to be shooting at human targets. In fact probably most have never even thought about shooting at a human being.

This is a long range hunting forum. personally on my hunting rifles I like a lower power. 4-12 or 6-18 is about right. On my target rifles all I can get. 42X to 60X is about right for me.

a half minute rifle with the proper cartridge and the right optics no reason you couldn't hit 8" steel at a 1000 yrds. If you are good enough you might do better than that.

Last i heard ,the longerst P-Dog shot witnessed and recorded was over 3000 yards , im pretty sure he was using more than 24X....

if your gun is shooting .5 at 100 it could do anything at 500 best thing to do is a ladder test and chrono at 500 pick out some good starting loads and go from there, you may come back to a 100 and be in the low .2's

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.