Group size vs ES

DJ Fergus

Been working on a load for this rifle for a short while. Just got through shooting this 300 yard group. It measured just under one inch. The bad thing is my chrono readings were 2976, 2911 & 2923. My chono was sitting in the shade with shields off and it has been known to act up while in the shade but I'm still not sure if it was lying. Will move out to 500yds tomorrow and go 3 more rounds of the same recipe & see what my vertical does. This is a 300 Norma , so I don't do 5 shot groups, I would rather do multiple 3 shot groups. I really hope the chrono was lying but I'm not convinced.

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_185944284.jpg
    IMG_20190616_185944284.jpg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 324
Go to a 1000 and see what your vertical spread actually is.
I doubt 500 will reveal much
I agree. All I have here at my house is 500. I'm working on getting a 700 yard range set up but I've got to get the bull dozer fixed to clear some trees. Trying to get all my homework straighten out before I take it out to 1000. 1000yds is not easily accessible to me at the moment.

I have two newer rifles that shoot 1/2" and better groups at 100 yds with my handloads. I haven't stretched their legs yet, but my chrono shows both have variances of 20-30 fps from one round to the other with H4831sc. I never have chronied any of my loads before with other rifles and have had great success to 600 yds. I don't shoot past 600 as that is all I have available and wouldn't shoot game past 600 due to FPE with calibers I shoot. Before being "enlightened" on this site, I have had good shooting, like stated above, to 600 with other rifles that are 3/4" rifles. Could my chrono be mucked, or am I realistically putting out ammo like this?
I never get (questionable, unexplainable) flyers and everything seems consistant. I don't neck turn or use mandrels but use quality brass, anneal, and trickle charge each round as-well-as make sure my COAL are as close to identicle as possible. I do full length resize and bump my shoulders.
I don't compete and shoot distance mainly just to be a better hunter at my pre-set distances. I suppose I may be lazy, or just busier than I would like to be.

Last edited:
Been working on a load for this rifle for a short while. Just got through shooting this 300 yard group. It measured just under one inch. The bad thing is my chrono readings were 2976, 2911 & 2923. My chono was sitting in the shade with shields off and it has been known to act up while in the shade but I'm still not sure if it was lying. Will move out to 500yds tomorrow and go 3 more rounds of the same recipe & see what my vertical does. This is a 300 Norma , so I don't do 5 shot groups, I would rather do multiple 3 shot groups. I really hope the chrono was lying but I'm not convinced.
If your group size is good, your chrony is probably off.

If your ES is minimal your vertical dispersion should be minimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.