1000 Yard + group size

Nice shooting, what rubbed you wrong??

Nothing derogatory was said, there was just a underlying tone that some of us cant shoot 1/2 moa or better at 1k and expecting so was unreasonable.

And on this forum, its just not the case.

RMulhern,
Ill say youve got that rifle and load figured out.

Doesn't take much to make me happy! White plate is 20" diameter. 15 rounds from 1000 yds.

6.51000 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
Agreed,

Shooting multiple shots centered within an MOA target is a great accomplishment! Accomplishing such indicates attention to the details required to achieve both accuracy and precision long range. Multiple shots hopefully will not be necessary for hunting however multiple shots in practice be it on paper or steel sure does build confidence! Personally I've been a few shots shy on more than one occasion with 15 in a row inside 1 MOA centered at 1000. One day I hope to shoot 15 to 20 consecutively.

Nice shooting and thanks for sharing! I completely agree with your assessment of group size at 1000!:D

Last edited:
Once the rifle and load are tuned I've adopted the following process.

Confirming drops I shoot only at paper.

I shoot only one shot.

That shot is supposed to go within 1/2 MOA of POA.

If it doesn't, depending on my friend the wind, another shot is in order.

For field practice I shoot at rocks no larger than 1/2 MOA. I also video all shots at rocks as near misses appear as hits on small rocks.

Well, read through the posts. Trouble is the first question. Which pretty much states what to expect at 1000 which also means he never has shot it. I believe you need a 1/2 moa rifle to start then what you can expect at 1000 is what the conditions are going to allow. Which may be 1 moa. Maybe 5. My LR shooting is in mainly in the mountains. I can always get good elevation data but windage. Whole different game. Love seeing the 1/2 moa group pics at 1000 here, love how "perfect conditions" is cited. 1000 yards is a long ways. Way too long for the average shooter to be taking shots on game. At least in 90 percent of my conditions. Just got back from shooting, longest setup was just over 1100. Managed 2 hits on a 12 plate with 10 rounds or so in switching winds, I have shot much better sure, these were not great winds with not many external indicators, would have loved even just a consistent wind. Guys just need to know their limitations, and unless you have shot a lot from these ranges you will never know what they are. I'd go so far to say as 2-3 percent of hunters have any business shooting past 600. Alot of guys rely on public ranges which few are 1000 plus. How many posts here start with" 300 yards is all i can get too" But there is money to be made, so why not sell a $5000 platform to a guy who only shoots 40 rounds a year and figures he is good to go to 1200 yards with his custom turret and kestrel which measures wind speed from where he is. I'm sure there are a ton of good shooters on here, but sadly, there are also guys believing they can buy the best and make cold bore shots at 1000 at will. I like shooting far, just have reservations about what it's doing to the sport. That's my soap box

I'm sure a bunch of guys are logging data, confirming drops, shooting a ton, live and breathe this stuff. Just feel it's not the general trend.

Well, read through the posts. Trouble is the first question. Which pretty much states what to expect at 1000 which also means he never has shot it. I believe you need a 1/2 moa rifle to start then what you can expect at 1000 is what the conditions are going to allow. Which may be 1 moa. Maybe 5. My LR shooting is in mainly in the mountains. I can always get good elevation data but windage. Whole different game. Love seeing the 1/2 moa group pics at 1000 here, love how "perfect conditions" is cited. 1000 yards is a long ways. Way too long for the average shooter to be taking shots on game. At least in 90 percent of my conditions. Just got back from shooting, longest setup was just over 1100. Managed 2 hits on a 12 plate with 10 rounds or so in switching winds, I have shot much better sure, these were not great winds with not many external indicators, would have loved even just a consistent wind. Guys just need to know their limitations, and unless you have shot a lot from these ranges you will never know what they are. I'd go so far to say as 2-3 percent of hunters have any business shooting past 600. Alot of guys rely on public ranges which few are 1000 plus. How many posts here start with" 300 yards is all i can get too" But there is money to be made, so why not sell a $5000 platform to a guy who only shoots 40 rounds a year and figures he is good to go to 1200 yards with his custom turret and kestrel which measures wind speed from where he is. I'm sure there are a ton of good shooters on here, but sadly, there are also guys believing they can buy the best and make cold bore shots at 1000 at will. I like shooting far, just have reservations about what it's doing to the sport. That's my soap box

I'm sure a bunch of guys are logging data, confirming drops, shooting a ton, live and breathe this stuff. Just feel it's not the general trend.

My question was simply asking what others do or expect. I have shot a LOT at distance and have a good bit of experience at range. While I do agree a lot of people don't have business shooting at game at that distance I am one of those 2 or 3% of people that shoot long and often as 1000 yard benchrest is my usual platform, but long range shooting of rocks or ground hogs is what I like to do.

Well I'll retract anything I said regarding the OP, this was a resurrected thread, so to speak to your question, with a accurate rifle I'm very happy with 10 inch groups at 1000 or 1 moa. Sorry to go off the tangent, just is interesting, that's all

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.