GREAT PYRENEES

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Anyone Have Great Pyrenees Pups???
Jill and I have had Samson a Bernese Mountain Dog for almost 9 years now (May) . He is 145 lbs and the older he gets the less that he listens to Jill (or me). Kind of like an old man.
These Herding Animals (Bernese/Pyrenees) are the BEST for protecting family, pets, and livestock.
Well, we are going to bring home a 6 1/2-week-old Great Pyrenees Pup that we are rescuing tomorrow. The Dam is 100% (genetic tested) but don't know the Stud. Our new addition to our family is a huge pup all white with Black eyes & Ears like a giant ball of fur.
We will post some pictures tomorrow when we pick her up.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Jill and I have had Samson a Bernese Mountain Dog for almost 9 years now (May) . He is 145 lbs and the older he gets the less that he listens to Jill (or me). Kind of like an old man.
These Herding Animals (Bernese/Pyrenees) are the BEST for protecting family, pets, and livestock.
Well, we are going to bring home a 6 1/2-week-old Great Pyrenees Pup that we are rescuing tomorrow. The Dam is 100% (genetic tested) but don't know the Stud. Our new addition to our family is a huge pup all white with Black eyes & Ears like a giant ball of fur.

Thanks
Len & Jill
Good luck. We ran two Pyrenees for sheep and cows on home ranch. Now my brother runs Anatolian Shepard's. They are crazy good also. Like all working dogs there are good working lines and pure pet lines.

Best of luck they are great dogs.

Good luck. We ran two Pyrenees for sheep and cows on home ranch. Now my brother runs Anatolian Shepard's. They are crazy good also. Like all working dogs there are good working lines and pure pet lines.

Best of luck they are great dogs.
read an article the other day said Great Pyrenees are prone to become deaf so maybe his ears are failing my jack russel did that. David

Thanks
Len & Jill
What I said was meant for you got it on wrong post sorry. David

Well just an update.
We brought home "Shelby". She is 6 1/2 weeks old now. She eats everything in sight. She is already going to the bathroom outside on a regular basis. Very few accidents in the house. She doesn't cry. Loves to ride in the front seat of our truck, when we go to bed she sleeps in a large cat bed we put in the corner of the bedroom. So far SLEEPS ALL NIGHT. 11:00PM to 6:30 AM and I run her outside to relieve herself.
Her mother was a pure bred Great Pyrenees and father unknown, but she looks and has taken all the genes from her mom. The mother was abandoned when Pregent and my friend a Veterinarian that Rescues Animals took her in. She had three pups but only Shelby survived.
So Shelby's first few weeks were in a large crate with the mom and only contact with the people in the vet's office. Needless to say she is over joyed to have us play with her all her waking moments.
When she gets tired of playing with me, Jill, Samson and the cats, she lays down and put her head on my feet while I am watching TV.
We feel really blessed to have taken her in as an addition to our family (1 giant Bernese Mountain Dog 145llbs, (5) Cats, and (4) goats.
We feel that she is going to be a great watch dog and guardian of the animals just like Samson.

Attachments

• Great Pyrenees Shelby.jpg
    Great Pyrenees Shelby.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 36
  • Great Pyreneese Shelby1.jpg
    Great Pyreneese Shelby1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Great Pyreneese Shelby3.jpg
    Great Pyreneese Shelby3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Samson Grinning.jpg
    Samson Grinning.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 37
  • Samson.jpg
    Samson.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 40
We had a Great Pyrenees for awhile, but we got her when she was about 3 yrs old and had never been trained...... they are a very independent, stubborn breed. They were breed to be this way so not totally unexpected. She ended up being "to much dog" for my wife and kids so we had to get rid of her but the Pyrenees traits were very drawing and we found a Pyrenees/Lab mix who was a absolute awesome family dog. He'd bring the kids to the bus and stay with them till the bus came, watch them play outside and brawl with any coyotes that entered our field. In fact I haven't shot a coyote off our place since we got him. Sadly old age caught up with him this fall, and he had to be put down. By chance we found a Black Lab/Pyrenees female, and a few months later a male. We are planning to breed them as this mix makes a really good family/farm dog, especially when raised with children from puppy hood. The children become their livestock to protect. Good luck with her, she'll be a loyal companion!

Attachments

• 20220409_082134.jpg
    20220409_082134.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
We had a Great Pyrenees for awhile, but we got her when she was about 3 yrs old and had never been trained...... they are a very independent, stubborn breed. They were breed to be this way so not totally unexpected. She ended up being "to much dog" for my wife and kids so we had to get rid of her but the Pyrenees traits were very drawing and we found a Pyrenees/Lab mix who was a absolute awesome family dog. He'd bring the kids to the bus and stay with them till the bus came, watch them play outside and brawl with any coyotes that entered our field. In fact I haven't shot a coyote off our place since we got him. Sadly old age caught up with him this fall, and he had to be put down. By chance we found a Black Lab/Pyrenees female, and a few months later a male. We are planning to breed them as this mix makes a really good family/farm dog, especially when raised with children from puppy hood. The children become their livestock to protect. Good luck with her, she'll be a loyal companion!
Great story thanks for sharing. Yes you have to get a Great Pyrenees when they are pups, I know some people with livestock and the Pyrenees just live in the fields and barn protecting . If left on their own they do what they do best -PROTECT

Hello all
It is with a sad heart to say that our Great Pyrenees puppy - Shelby passed away last Saturday morning. She was doing great as always on last Friday and then during the night she started having a "Pant-Hicup" . I was in contact with our vet who by the way gave Shelby to us as a gift, for several hours, This was until 1:00am. We gave some meds instructed by our vet and was going to do x-rays first thing in the morning if she didn't get better. Well within several hours she went from running around with Griffin our cat to passing away in our arms. She was only 9 1/2 weeks old. She had a faint "Pant-Hicup) for several weeks and had her checked out the day before she passed. It can only be determined that it was possibly a heart valve failure. Her two litter mates passed right after birth so it may have been genetic.
The Good news is that we have a new addition to our family. Yesterday our good friend that gave us Shelby as a gift asked me to meet with him in the town of Monroe, GA at 5:00PM yesterday. When I met with him he had a Great Pyrenees Female puppy to give to us to help with the loss of Shelby. Talk about a great caring friend. Now mind you he is an excellent Veterinarian here in GA and knows a lot of breeders a people.
Within the day we lost Shelby he and his staff started searching for the another perfect puppy for us. I can't describe our loss of Shelby, but also can not describe or express having such an excellent caring FRIEND to help out with our grief and loss.
We got "SIERRA" (cant say named after the bullets, but the mountains) yesterday and today is Samson's 9th Birthday. I have a picture of Samson & Shelby two weeks ago (she has the Badger Black eyes & ears) and Sierra (Badger right ear) our newest addition.
Naturally had to have a Birthday party for Samson since he is 9 years old. Bernese live 8-12 years and hope Samson is here for many more. By the way Samson if great with puppies and our cats watches over them. It is bred into their DNA.
Anyway we just wanted to share this story. I haven't been too responsive or getting some projects done as fast this past week.
With all the craziness going on in the world Jill & I just got a bundle of joy and happiness.

God Bless
Len & Jill

Attachments

• Samson Birthday 5-6-22.jpg
    Samson Birthday 5-6-22.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Sierra 5-6-22.jpg
    Sierra 5-6-22.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Sierra 5-6-22 3.jpg
    Sierra 5-6-22 3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Sierra 5-6-22 2.jpg
    Sierra 5-6-22 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Samson and Shelby.jpg
    Samson and Shelby.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Samson 9 th Birthday .jpg
    Samson 9 th Birthday .jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 36
I'm so sorry for your loss, even if only with us for a short while pups have a way of getting deep into our hearts. I am glad there is new hope and happiness here for the future, and that you have such close friends.
Thanks Much
There is a GOD and good things happen to good people. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all
It is with a sad heart to say that our Great Pyrenees puppy - Shelby passed away last Saturday morning. She was doing great as always on last Friday and then during the night she started having a "Pant-Hicup" . I was in contact with our vet who by the way gave Shelby to us as a gift, for several hours, This was until 1:00am. We gave some meds instructed by our vet and was going to do x-rays first thing in the morning if she didn't get better. Well within several hours she went from running around with Griffin our cat to passing away in our arms. She was only 9 1/2 weeks old. She had a faint "Pant-Hicup) for several weeks and had her checked out the day before she passed. It can only be determined that it was possibly a heart valve failure. Her two litter mates passed right after birth so it may have been genetic.
The Good news is that we have a new addition to our family. Yesterday our good friend that gave us Shelby as a gift asked me to meet with him in the town of Monroe, GA at 5:00PM yesterday. When I met with him he had a Great Pyrenees Female puppy to give to us to help with the loss of Shelby. Talk about a great caring friend. Now mind you he is an excellent Veterinarian here in GA and knows a lot of breeders a people.
Within the day we lost Shelby he and his staff started searching for the another perfect puppy for us. I can't describe our loss of Shelby, but also can not describe or express having such an excellent caring FRIEND to help out with our grief and loss.
We got "SIERRA" (cant say named after the bullets, but the mountains) yesterday and today is Samson's 9th Birthday. I have a picture of Samson & Shelby two weeks ago (she has the Badger Black eyes & ears) and Sierra (Badger right ear) our newest addition.
Naturally had to have a Birthday party for Samson since he is 9 years old. Bernese live 8-12 years and hope Samson is here for many more. By the way Samson if great with puppies and our cats watches over them. It is bred into their DNA.
Anyway we just wanted to share this story. I haven't been too responsive or getting some projects done as fast this past week.
With all the craziness going on in the world Jill & I just got a bundle of joy and happiness.

God Bless
Len & Jill
So sad for your loss. I lost my Lab after 15 years and I know how bad it hurts.
Mike

As a dog trainer that train's Competition retrievers the key to a well behaved dog is obedience training start them young and stay on it all the time the more you allow them to have bad behavior you're actually training them to have bad behavior by allowing it