great load for the .300 RUM

szabo

i've been loading the barnes 180 grn triple shock with a few different powders. the load that worked the best for my gun was 92 grn of rl-25.my first group was .550 and my second group was .480. my average f.p.s was 3275. has anyone else used this bullet with success?

I haven't really tried that hard with this bullet, but a "first guess" load was shooting a bit below 1 MOA from my rifle at 205 yds which is OK from my rifle. I have no doubt I'd be able to tweak it and get pretty darn good accuracy at close range.

That "first guess" load was 98 grains of Retumbo and clocked 3326 from my 26" factory A-Bolt at 5 yds. I'm guessing I could go a grain or two more getting to the 3350-3375 range and still be in my comfort zone pressure-wise pretty easily.

So my initial impression was that they would be capable of some very good accuracy if I played with them a bit. But I really don't see myself bothering since I'm already getting such great accuracy from the 200 AccuBond. And while the muzzle velocity is impressive, it's less impressive at just 205 yds--the 200 AB launched 140 fps slower has nearly caught it already by then. At 4, 5, 600 yds it's going to be at a serious disadvantage.

Basically, I don't feel the need to bother with a bullet with that low a BC when I have better choices.

The 200gr accubond launched at 3140 fps will catch the 180gr tsx (3275fps) at about the 200 yd range. However at 600 yds it will clock about 50fps faster and carry 350 more ft lbs of energy. The 180 tsx will carry 2330 ft lbs at that distance, so it's hard to see the serious disadvantage.
I see both bullets as very accurate for long distance shooting and would give the advantage to the tsx for high velocity, close shots. It will stay together under any conditions where the accubond has a tendancy to act like a ballistic tip with these types of shots.

According to my tests, if the two are launched at the velocities you state, the AB will be travelling 185 fps faster and be packing 513 ft-lbs more energy at 600 yds under standard conditions (2162 fps, 2076 fl-lbs vs. 1977 fps, 1563 ft-lbs).

But I feel the biggest disadvantage would be the 34% increase in wind drift due to the low BC.

The BC of the 180gr TSX is 552 and according to my ballistic software, a 200gr boatail is 589. Ultimatly it will have better performance. Unfortunatly, I have not run extensive testing, as you have. I personally shoot the tsx and have had exceptional accuracy out to 550 yards. My comparisons come from ballistic software on the 200 gr and field data for the tsx. I'm sure your data is more accurate based on actual testing of the accubond.

Striker,
Go here, there is a photo and some info about it. Also I'm in love with the Accubond 200, last time I shot my Remington 300 RUM LSS, it gave me a 1.44" group at 300 yards using 94 grains of Retumbo with a MV= 3159 f/s. It's an 0.459 MOA which makes me happy from factory rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

striker,
the same day that I shot that group at 300 yards with the 200 accubond, I also shot this group at 100 yards.
9hns45.jpg

This is a 0.451 MOA. The 0.003 was the bullet run-out for this particular group which is pretty high.
I used ammo within 0.002" run-out and my 14 years old son killed a rock the size of my two fists put together at 500 yards. I think the boy is hooked!!!

I'm still stuck on the 200gr AB with 94gr of Retumbo under it lit up by a Rem mag primer thats like my standard go to load. I did test some AA8700 over the weekend under some 220gr SMK's 105.5gr produced 3118fps and 1in groups@ 100 yards not the most accurate load but it sure will hit hard on game. I shot 5 rounds off the bench thru the crony and 15 rounds pron off the bipod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif recoil was a motherfu*ker thats for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyone ever try the .30 cal 250gr Hawk bullets? Imagine them over a stiff load of Retumbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Kick like a Missouri Mule!!!

Yeah, there's a noticable difference in recoil between full power 240 loads and the 200's. After shooting nothing but 240's for the last few sessions, I jumped up and declaired "That kicked like a pop-gun!" after shooting a group with 200's last Sunday (it was a lousy 1.9" at 300 yds--you suck Eaglet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

gjszabo, yes, actual testing showed the AB BC to be fairly close to advertised while the TSX's actual BC wasn't even in the same zipcode as .552.

Jon A,
it's funny, my rifle shot pretty sorry when I tried .005, .010, .015, .020 from the lands... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
so that it fits in the magazine I'm seating the bullet a mile away... it shoots good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i've tried those 180 accubonds with the h1000, 100 grains to be exact.i was getting a constant 3400 fps. the bullet didn't seem to group all that well. is it possible that it was going to fast?.sounds like you guys have done more homewok than me. appreciate all the info!

Yeah Eaglet, mine's the same way--most bullets are a good .150" off the lands to fit in the magazine. But with the way it shoots, I'm almost afraid to get a "proper" throat in my new barrel.

Striker, that load does sound a bit warm. I'd try backing off a grain or two and see how it shoots then.

[ QUOTE ]
i've been loading the barnes 180 grn triple shock with a few different powders. the load that worked the best for my gun was 92 grn of rl-25.my first group was .550 and my second group was .480. my average f.p.s was 3275. has anyone else used this bullet with success?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tried the 180 TXS in federal case's,federal 215 primer and 99.5 grains of Retumbo for 3426 fps .5 moa col is 3.6" also same brass primer and bullet over 115 grains of WC-872 for 3375 fps and 115 grains of wc-872 is all that I can get in the case My barrel is a Krieger and is 27 1/2" including the brake

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.