Bullets for 300 RUM load?

Do you load these to Sami length?

I seat them .020 off the lans. SAMI spec. is 3.600 COL. I seat to 3.800 COL. ( This is measured from the end of case to bullet tip.) My rifle is single shot. So I don't know if that length fits in a standard mag or not.

Looking back thru notes, it looks like when I was seating them to 3.600 COL I was getting .75-1 MOA. When I started seating to 3.800 groups went to .3-.4 MOA.

You need a neck die to size just the neck. You can partial full length size which will work the brass less than full length sizing. Its basically sizing the neck and the case body but not setting back the shoulders. You can set up your FL die by taking a candle and lighting it, and hold it on your case neck and shoulder it will turn black.
Then turn your FL die until it only removes the carbon from the neck and not the shoulders. I have all of my FL dies set up this way.

That's a cool trick. I'll do that.

I seat them .020 off the lans. SAMI spec. is 3.600 COL. I seat to 3.800 COL. ( This is measured from the end of case to bullet tip.) My rifle is single shot. So I don't know if that length fits in a standard mag or not.

Looking back thru notes, it looks like when I was seating them to 3.600 COL I was getting .75-1 MOA. When I started seating to 3.800 groups went to .3-.4 MOA.

I'm pretty limited on mag length. Barely over sami on mag length. Lots of freebore in this rifle. When I tried out some berger 215 hybrids, they barely went into the neck when pushed against the lands. Plus, they would not fit in the mag. Tried reloading those to max mag length. Way to much lead down inside the case. A portion of the curve of the bullet(Ogive?) was inside the case neck. Never shot those, scared me, so I pulled them, and went with these 185's.

seatdept.jpg

Well for mag length, I would think the 200 Accubonds would be a good bet. They may shoot good in your rifle at mag length. Sometimes a little faster powder can help. I shoot H1000 in my 300 RUM. Some swear by RL33 now days too. For some it seems that H1000 can be a little more accurate than Retumbo but gives up some speed to Retumbo. Seems hard to tell what the magic tweak is going to be.

Does this Browning have a BOSS?

Well for mag length, I would think the 200 Accubonds would be a good bet. They may shoot good in your rifle at mag length. Sometimes a little faster powder can help. I shoot H1000 in my 300 RUM. Some swear by RL33 now days too. For some it seems that H1000 can be a little more accurate than Retumbo but gives up some speed to Retumbo. Seems hard to tell what the magic tweak is going to be.

Does this Browning have a BOSS?

No Boss. Does have a after market muzzle brake. Recoil is similar to a 243. And that is unbelievable to me even. It was a bruiser before that. I'm thinking on ordering the Accubonds. Give them a shot. I know everybody has their preferences, but reality is every rifle likes a different diet. From what I have been learning anyway. So, I might as well order them, and get to testing. I appreciate all the input.

You are concerned that there will be a significant jump to the rifling. I would suggest you load to fit and feed from your magazine and find out if that is an issue. Weatherby rifles have had a great deal of freebore built into their design with no hopes of ever reaching the rifling and they shoot quite well.

I agree with a previous poster on using either the 200 gr accubond or the 230 gr Berger match target hybrid. The 230 hybrid has a very high BC yet is a fantastic killer. I have personally seen it kill two elk with ease. Broz a LRH contributor has taken quite a few animals with that bullet.

The beauty of any of the Berger hybrids is their ability to shoot small groups in pretty much any seating depth. I suggest you try them.

If your primary use of the rifle will be elk hunting, the 200 grain Accubond is a great choice. Get it moving around 3200 fps. Flies pretty flat and hits hard. Been using them to kill bulls for 11 or 12 years now. I do shoot Berger VLD's when I am shooting steel at longer ranges. Cheaper than Accubonds. mtmuley

If your primary use of the rifle will be elk hunting, the 200 grain Accubond is a great choice. Get it moving around 3200 fps. Flies pretty flat and hits hard. Been using them to kill bulls for 11 or 12 years now. I do shoot Berger VLD's when I am shooting steel at longer ranges. Cheaper than Accubonds. mtmuley

How far would you trust a 200gn accubond against a bull? Knockdown and group consistency. Not counting driver error.

Last edited:
My bro in law shoots the 200 AB in his. It's an absolute hammer. He's got one bull at 700+ with that load.

You are concerned that there will be a significant jump to the rifling. I would suggest you load to fit and feed from your magazine and find out if that is an issue. Weatherby rifles have had a great deal of freebore built into their design with no hopes of ever reaching the rifling and they shoot quite well.

I agree with a previous poster on using either the 200 gr accubond or the 230 gr Berger match target hybrid. The 230 hybrid has a very high BC yet is a fantastic killer. I have personally seen it kill two elk with ease. Broz a LRH contributor has taken quite a few animals with that bullet.

The beauty of any of the Berger hybrids is their ability to shoot small groups in pretty much any seating depth. I suggest you try them.

I have bought some 200gn accubonds. they are loaded and ready for the range. I will post the results in a day or two.

On another note, I had bought some 215 hybrids sometime back. Loaded them, did not shoot them, pulled the bullets and gave them away. The seating depth into the case looked way to much. I posted the pics on here, and by advice, I did not shoot them. I just bought some factory Remington loads, PL3 200gn aframes. Pulled a bullet, it is seated from the factory dang near as deep. I wish I would have just tried the hybrids at least. I might shoot my barrel out before I find what I want. LOL. I am considering buying more 215's for my next reloading session, if these acubonds don't perform as well I want.

Your factory rum is designed so that you can not reach the lands. Seat mag length and find your velocity, then adj your seating depth down shooting groups until you find accuracy. With a standard die just take it down a 1/4 turn for each seating depth adj. If you can try and do your load development farther than 100 yards. Any load that shoots 1 moa is worth trying at longer range. There are a lot of guys that have rifles and the ability to shot tiny groups with their hunting rifles. This is not the norm. Do not expect to be able to do this. 1 moa is very good. I shoot full custom and semi custom rifles and 1/2 moa is rare. The 200g AB is a good bet, generally very easy to load. Good all around bullet in a wide range of distance. MTMuley has used them for ever in his rum and killed most everything available here in Montana.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts