Bullets for 300 RUM load?

I have a Remington BDL 700 in .300 RUM. I live in N. Florida and have killed deer with it in a couple of other states.The bullet I used is the 180 Nosler ballistictip. It did well for Whitetail Deer, and was very accurate out to 1028 yards (farthest I tested). Since joining this site and if I hunt that rifle again I will develop a load using the 200 grain Accubond. I have to admit the 208 Amax does have my curiosity up.

Your factory rum is designed so that you can not reach the lands. Seat mag length and find your velocity, then adj your seating depth down shooting groups until you find accuracy. With a standard die just take it down a 1/4 turn for each seating depth adj. If you can try and do your load development farther than 100 yards. Any load that shoots 1 moa is worth trying at longer range. There are a lot of guys that have rifles and the ability to shot tiny groups with their hunting rifles. This is not the norm. Do not expect to be able to do this. 1 moa is very good. I shoot full custom and semi custom rifles and 1/2 moa is rare. The 200g AB is a good bet, generally very easy to load. Good all around bullet in a wide range of distance. MTMuley has used them for ever in his rum and killed most everything available here in Montana.

Steve

Good advice. I think I can find a place to shoot 200+ yards locally. I'll just have to ask around. I just want to be comfortable with it at long distance. If I'm not, I wont pull the trigger on an animal.... I would hate to see one walk, because I cant reach them with this cannon.

I use the 200 accubonds, they perform very well on elk out to 1300 yards. Even at close ranges I have yet to have blood shot from a slight miss hit. I can easily get 1/2 moa out of them. The burgers have a better BC but I like to eat the animal that I shoot! I run 91.0 grains of H1000 with GM215M primers & Nosler brass. I have tried Rutumbo powder but it just didn't perform as well as I liked, but every rifle likes a different receipt ....

I have finally just started firing some of the loads for my RUM that I loaded about 8 months ago. I had been using the 180gr AB factory ammo to get some brass stockpiled. My loads are with retumbo and the 200 AB. Using 3.6 COAL I found four loads that ranged from .1-.6 at 100 yards. I loaded 9 different charges and only had two that shot over 1 moa. So far this RUM and any AB's have been a good combination.

I have finally just started firing some of the loads for my RUM that I loaded about 8 months ago. I had been using the 180gr AB factory ammo to get some brass stockpiled. My loads are with retumbo and the 200 AB. Using 3.6 COAL I found four loads that ranged from .1-.6 at 100 yards. I loaded 9 different charges and only had two that shot over 1 moa. So far this RUM and any AB's have been a good combination.

Started loading up the 200 accubonds. Started at 88gns of Retumbo. worked my way up to 92gns so far. Went in .5gn increments. COL is 3.65. Started shooting form 200yds. not too good on the lower end. Then when I hit 92gns I got this! Wow! Or to me its a WOW! I'm gonna load a few more at that and see if the grouping holds. That was a 4 shot group. The 3 are circled. the one 2" low was my bad. That's why I shoot 4 shot groups. I'm not as practiced as some, so it sort of give me room for error. And, as always, any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. IMG_3389.jpg

That's a good looking group. I made it out today and finalized mine. I had two groups that looked just about as good at 92.5 and 94grs. At 200 the 94 grouped just slightly better so I believe I will start loading them. This is the first that I've started reloading for this gun and to be able to step up to the 200AB, be running at 3150fps, and get .791 groups at 200 yards. It's been a good day.

Way to go guys! The 300 RUM rules doesn't it!
I shoot my 200 Accubonds at 3150. It seems to be a sweat spot for them in my RUM too.

I've just gotten into reloading. And honestly, I've never had a rifle shoot like that at 200 yards. If that can be improved upon, that is amazing to me. Someone, just getting into reloading. I'm sold on it.

That's really great. I stopped at the 92 with mine. The 92.5 opend a little and the 93 was a little more. I haven't tried anything above. So maybe I might go back and try to work up to the higher load. I run around 3050 with 92 grains.

That's really great. I stopped at the 92 with mine. The 92.5 opend a little and the 93 was a little more. I haven't tried anything above. So maybe I might go back and try to work up to the higher load. I run around 3050 with 92 grains.

What kind of powder and bullet and boomstick you using?

Same thing...300rum in a sendero. currently reloading 230's but shooting single shot since they are seated out so long. I have thought about going back to something like the 200's, 208 amax, or just tring to get the 230 seated to mag length and see if I can still have a little speed out of them. With single feed I run right about 3.79 or 3.89 col and 89.3 grains of retumbo at 2980fps. I actually get a .5 inch group or better if I can hold it @ 200yrds. Gun has a break and makes it really nice to shoot (with ear plugs). I thought about having a wyatt box with the action done but then if I do that I think I want to go all out with blue printing the action, jewel trigger, and some type new barrel probably bartlin barrel 5r rifling something like 28 inches maybe a 1-9 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts