Got a Model 70 7mm WSM need a new scope. What's a good BDC scope for under $400?

Weaver 4-16x42 Buck Commander Rifle Scope I don't know if I did this right but this would be a great starter scope plus it has similar type reticle a Nikon BDC has. Plus a great price. You'll need the 16x power to see bullet holes and you easily have a 500+yard rifle so extra magnifacation is needed .

not worried about seeing holes... im just looking for a decent scope to put on top of my decent rifle. I plan on using this when im sitting and waiting, wheras my .243 is my jumper gun. That scope would be fine other than the fact of being fully zoomed in at 100 i will only see roughly 5 feet of my target area. If i miss i wont see the impact of the bullet so i can correct my shot the next time around.

not worried about seeing holes... im just looking for a decent scope to put on top of my decent rifle. I plan on using this when im sitting and waiting, wheras my .243 is my jumper gun. That scope would be fine other than the fact of being fully zoomed in at 100 i will only see roughly 5 feet of my target area. If i miss i wont see the impact of the bullet so i can correct my shot the next time around.

When your out in the field hunting, you set your scope on its lowest power .

I will give you a few different suggestions. SWFA is a good place to as well as opticsplanet and Natchez shooters supply. Look at all three sites as some will have specials others wont. Also do not be afraid to look at Refurbished scopes as long as they still offer a warranty. Great way to get better glass for less money.

The three scopes i would suggest you look into I think would fit your needs well.

Try to to find you a 4-16x 40ish Nikon Monarch with the BDC. I bought one of these and put it on my sons gun (Savage 7WSM) and it is AWESOME. I am super impressed with it and they can be found for under $400 if you are patient and diligent. Plus with the Nikon BDC app for phones and stuff you can dial it in for any gun/load.

Next I put a 4-16x44mm Bushnell Legend Ultra HD on my daughters new gun with a Mil-dot and it too is a nice scope for the money. I think the Nikon is a bit better but not by much. For a young person getting started though with limited budget, these I think are VERY hard to beat.

Last i have been repeatedly hearing very good things about the Hawke Sidewinder 30 and Sidewinder tactical scopes. This will be the next scope I buy. Lots of bells and whistles for the money but I have read on more than one occasion they are competing well with scopes 2-3 times thier cost. There is a guy on here that goes ny Bruce_Ventura that has a optics web site and I have agreed with just about every review i have seen him do and he really talks up these Hawkes. I trust that. Only hearsay though so take it for what it is worth. Almost all models are under $400. You will probably need new rings and save yourself alot of heache and just get talley lightweight rings when you order the scope.

Howdy,

I too bought a win 70 in 7wsm with a $400 budget. I went to Natchezss.com and purchased a Burris TAC30 4.5X14 for $329 +handling and shipping. Holds zero, good clicks on knobs, better glass than I expected. Oh, by the way, it will shoot under 1/2 minute out to 400 yards WHEN I DO MY PART!

Best to you and GOOD SHOOTING.

Coach

sorry i havent posted lately. alternator went out in my car and my budget went out the window. :( i just swapped my 3-9x40 bushnell off of my .243. These 7mm wsm's are hard to find a boresight for! :rolleyes: anyway i did some mirror adjustments to get it on paper and then went hunting. :D ended up using the 30-30 where i was and filled my tag there. I have to help today so maybe i can see what this WSM can do! FYI it'll blow tannerite!

Don't wast your cash on a bore sight. Here what you do. Set your rifle on sand bags or what ever works front and back. Take bolt out of gun. Set up target ( Large bulls eye ) sight down the bbl and put the Bulls eye squarely in the middle of bbl. Then with out moving rifle sight through the scope and adjust the reticule to center of bulls eye make sure the bulls eye is still in the center of the bore. That will get your bullet impact on the paper then you adjust accordingly . Few shots later your rifle is sighted in.

The guy recommending the burris is right on. You need to have glass in the 14-16x upper range, your cartridge can stretch out real far. I bt the same rifle, best deal on the market and I saw them in 300WSM too. I have a Weaver Extreme Classic (on Natchez on closeout often) They were 800 scopes in 2009, the glass is real rice, reticle has illumination if needed, and the German #4 is a great hunting reticle. It tracks nicely. They are tough and Weaver has a lifetime guarantee, if it doesn't work correctly call them and they will replace with something of equal quality or fix it. Natchez typically has them for 300! Weaver Extreme Classic 4x16x50 with the German #4 reticle. Awesome.

Good Luck

Congratulations on the rifle.

Sako7STW +1 on the Nikon Monarch I have a 5.5-16.5 x 44 on both my Model 70 (270 win) & Remington 700 (300 RUM). Great clarity and overall good scopes, I paid around $375 ea. As for the bdc I never use it, not really close to either caliber I have, I usually just turn the turrets.

Good luck finding a scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.