Good buy for future custom?

2 the Plug

The Cabela's near me has these Rem 700 Varmint's on sale for $399. I am not currently needing a new rifle but after reading on here for a few weeks I want to start saving for a custom build. Flipping through the recent bass pro Cabela's flyer I saw these. Should I just buy one of these now to build off just the action later? Most 700 actions alone are at this price or higher. Thoughts?
https://www.cabelas.com/product/REMINGTON-ADL-VARMINT-RIFLE/1702465.uts?slotId=0
Remington® 700™ ADL Varmint Bolt-Action Rifles
  • Heavy-contour barrel
  • Classic, reliable Model 700 bolt action
  • SPS Varmint synthetic stock with a ventilated beavertail forend
  • X-Mark Pro trigger

Unless you just really love Remingtons, I can't see how a 'custom rifle' built around the action would be a good investment.
It may seem cynical but when I see customs for sale, based on Rem700 action, I can assign no more value than the scope, stock, and trigger on it(all aftermarket).

Remington actions can always be found for next to nothing, and they pretty much keep gunsmiths in business. The barrels are basically worthless. A plastic stock is worthless, but if better there is something to work with.
You could find aftermarket guns now that will hold value, and are cheaper/easier than reworking and replacing most of a Rem700. Cooper comes to mind. Savages have got to be the biggest bang for buck I'd think.

They'll all shoot, but maybe consider an investment perspective. Since I started doing just that, I've really made out like a bandit with my last few builds.

Unless you just really love Remingtons, I can't see how a 'custom rifle' built around the action would be a good investment.
It may seem cynical but when I see customs for sale, based on Rem700 action, I can assign no more value than the scope, stock, and trigger on it(all aftermarket).

Remington actions can always be found for next to nothing, and they pretty much keep gunsmiths in business. The barrels are basically worthless. A plastic stock is worthless, but if better there is something to work with.
You could find aftermarket guns now that will hold value, and are cheaper/easier than reworking and replacing most of a Rem700. Cooper comes to mind. Savages have got to be the biggest bang for buck I'd think.

They'll all shoot, but maybe consider an investment perspective. Since I started doing just that, I've really made out like a bandit with my last few builds.
Savage has lost it's place as a solid budget build. The quality has gone way down, the same as all the other major manufacturers. 5 or 7 years ago I would have agreed with you, but not these days.

I was leaning toward the custom Remington footprint actions, but there is a consideration there too. Does the action take the standard Remington firing pin assembly?

I have a friend who had one of the hot new custom actions. He broke a firing pin while practicing, two weeks out from a couple of back to back matches he was going to shoot. He was unable to get a new firing pin in time and had to borrow another rifle. If it had not just been a Remington footprint on the outside, but able to use Remington bolt parts in a pinch, he could have just carried on.

I've come full circle. I have three blueprinted Remington guns, and was about to chase the newer and better. I've changed my mind. Stock Remington is still crap, but it cleans up nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.