Good 308 bullets

Northman

Im wondering what kind of bullets would be good for hunting to max 600 yards?

I understand it would take high bc bullet, so the wind wont play havoc on it, and some decent speed? Do you prefer light or heavy bullets in 308?

Im planning to go with only one practice/hunting bullet, and one varmint bullet. So I can buy large quantaties, and easier to reload. So any suggestions?

Re: God 308 bullets

If your reloading then: 155 AMAX @2900+fps kills everything

If you want to purchase loaded ammo then go with Winchester BST's 150gr. or Federal premium 150 Nosler partition or ballistic tip. Most anything will work fairly good if you can put it in the right spot. PRACTICE, no your exact dope before you go hunting.

I havnt bought the rifle yet, but Im considering buying the one with a 20" barrel. The other one has a 24". I like the shorter better, because of the handeling. But Im conserned about the 155grain A-max wont get enough speed of that short barrel.

155, 168, 178 AMAX are good 308/600 yard bullets for deer size game. Accubonds are also getting a good rep at 600 yards but lack the BC the AMAX's offer. I get .474 from the 155 AMAX in my 308. WIth a longer bbl and slower twist I imagine it would be closer to .500 in the real world.

I never knew which bullet God shoots. I always thought he shot a 640 KV Lightening bullet out of a custom "bolt" gun

Oh yeah, does he ever miss?

LOL!!
339873.gif
339873.gif
339873.gif

This bullet will be used against elk, moose, pigs and whatnot.. I have been reading that hittin bone with a A-max might not kill it. I doubt i will shoot a moose at 5-600 yards, but its nice to know that it would penetrate the bone, and kill it.

I have been thinking about the Ballistic tips..dont know if they are better at long ranges.

Bone or no bone on an elk or moose I WOULD NOT use an amax or a ballistic tip. For the same flight charecteristics, BC and accuracy the Accubonds will be a much better choice or X bullets will get the job done for these critters at longer ranges if you put them in the ribs. No shoulders.

I have a recommendation for you that I shall call: "The elk I kinda sorta almost got". My friends and I just returned from Elk camp. I had taken my new ( relatively) .338 win mag. My friends were packing a 7mm, and a 7mmultra mag. I had also taken my Savage .308 sort of as a back-up for all our rifles.

It was morning of day three before we got any action as it had been too warm here in Colorado. Bob had a GREAT shot at a nice bull...BUT. To his horror, his 7mm ultra mag handloads were not chambering. Unfortunately he had no "other" ammo. He was very bummed.

That afternoon, my other friend Mark got a clean shot at his cow and dropped her at about 445 yards with his 7mm. He and I took the truck to retrieve her. As we were loading her into the truck we heard a shot that sounded like it came from our camp and turned behind and left to see a HUGE Bull stiff leggedly stumbing about 150 yards away. He went about 15 yards and dropped like a stone.

When we got back to camp a a bit later, Bob was pretty excited about his bull. We were very happy for him and asked if he had found some rounds that would chamber. He then sheepishly explained that he had seen the bull walk into the clear, and having no working rifle had grabbed my .308 and taken the shot.

That shot measured 527 yards and was a perfect boiler room hit. Going in it knicked a rib, jellied both lungs and took a piece of aorta. The bullet lodged in a shattered rib on the far side.

The round? Federal HE 180 gr. Nosler Partition at 2740 fps. I'm WAY impressed!!

That was the last shot we got on our hunt. So...I got shut out. But my .308 did ok!!LOL!!

Allrighty.. I did some reading, and lo and behold. If I neck down the 308 to 7-08, I can use the High B.C interbonds, and SST from hornady. From 154-175 grains, beats the pants of anything 308 can offer.

Is the interbond and sst bullets good for game?

I belive in one bullet one load.. not sure if to use the heavies or the lighter bullets though.

Are you planning for next year, as it is already November?
If so, you can throw the MRX Barnes into the mix. It looks
like it could do about everything. I just heard it will be
available for reloading in .270,7mm, & 30 cal. next year.
Also, look at the Wildcat Bullets.

Nomosendero: I was thinking of the MRX, and the wildcats. The only "problem" is money. I can get a hornady, or speer for 20-30 cents, and the barnes and wildcat for 60-70 cents per bullet.

So twice as much practice.. but I will look out for the MRX. It should be very interesting.. just hope they can come up with some high bc bullets..

I recently built a 308 tactical for my "Bro In Law" I sighted it in for him, with 150grn Hornaday spitzers. I gave him the drop table, he then took a 500 yard shot on a white tail buck, one shot, dead! He was very excited.

As far as the .308 goes, if you want to include elk in your one-bullet arsenal you'll prolly want something between 165 grs and 180 grs. From what I hear Nosler Accubonds are very good for the price and performance. Now I love the 7mm-08 and they make these lovely 160 gr Accubonds....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts