Going Electric

upload_2019-4-23_15-21-42.png

upload_2019-4-23_15-22-59.png

My questions have to do with Battery Life and Hauling Capacity? My Grizzly full of gas and a plastic 5 Gal. flat can strapped on the back will last a week. It will haul Me 2 deer and my rifle. I have winches front and back and can get it anywhere. I looked on the computer and those bikes aren't cheap. Also top speed will they go 30-40 MPH?

A typical 1000 watt mid drive motor with a trailer will pull a deer no problem and top speed is usually 28mph. these are hybrid bicycles so nowhere in the realm with a gas powered ATV in terms of speed and strength. Battery normally lasts between 20 to 50 miles depending on the battery size.

The advantages are when you can sneak up on deer quietly and the impact on the land is no greater than a bicycle.

28 mph on a mountain bike with a load on a trail? I don't know where you guys hunt, but 1/2 that speed in most of Idaho would be plenty and scary as $h!t...

True, a lot go for the 750watt because with a top speed of 20mph it's widely considered street legal so it can ridden on roads and 20mph is more than enough offroad

I can you meet you half way and show you a 3 wheeled ebike like nothing you've seen before. Here's one...

View attachment 131566
John, I see a bike with a 20-40 year old young man, with a trimmed mustache on it. I want to see a 75 year old geezer with a beard on it. Only then will I even THINK about investing in one. Have you looked into e-trikes... like two wheelers in the rear for better stability. I know it wouldn't go on the goat trail side hills, but unimproved roads would still be a big plus for old timers.

John, I see a bike with a 20-40 year old young man, with a trimmed mustache on it. I want to see a 75 year old geezer with a beard on it. Only then will I even THINK about investing in one. Have you looked into e-trikes... like two wheelers in the rear for better stability. I know it wouldn't go on the goat trail side hills, but unimproved roads would still be a big plus for old timers.
Hey,

I'll see if I can find a picture you asked for.
About the e-trikes. They are not a great design for anything other than flat paved roads. Reason being, with 2 wheels in the back, that leaves the motor to go up in the front wheel, and front hub motors are notoriously bad at doing anything uphill, and with 2 wheels on the back, if you need to make a sharp turn you could tip over.
As I'm typing this one very unique design comes to mind. I don't sell it but it looks crazy fun. It's like half go cart half tarantula. check this out:

Wow, thanks for a quick reply. About five years ago I was looking for something for my brother, nine years my elder, to get into better area. This was pre-fat rbike, etrike, and I bought a juice rider cargo bike, 20" front hub motor. This after scouring the net, it was best thing I could find. Took it to the ranch in wheeler co, Oregon, and the first little hill, the front wheel spinner to a stop. Sits in the garage now. But now, I found a place called electric bike technologies with a mid-motor drive fat trike. I got a deal on one, with an extra battery for 3k...waiting for it to arrive. Now, the country I hunt is very open, average shot is over 300yds, but there are plenty of unimproved roads...my problem is walking distance...and this fat wheeled trike, with 28" wheelbase will travel this quite well. Also, the throttle speed can be adjusted down to 1mph, so I'm looking foreword to putting my boned/quartered elk on it and walking it out on the road. So, hopefully, I can ride in, and walk my elk out on power assist. My friend is getting a one-fat wheeled e-cart, to go right to where the elk drops, to get it up to the road...forgot it's name. Do a search for fat wheeled e-trikes. Most have front wheeled hub...no good. I'm also buying a Belize fat tire trike, that I'll put a mid-drive motor and battery on, so we'll soon have it figured out. Problem is, we need some legislation to allow disabled people(vets) use these behind the gates.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.