Going on an Axis Deer hunt next week - question

jeffreyjwilliams

Hello everyone.
I am going on an Axis deer hunt next week. (Texas). It will be my first Axis hunt. Should my bullet selection and shot placement be the same as shooting a white tail?

I will be using my 6.5 CM Tikka T3x Lite. What ammo would you guys use? I have Win Deer Season xp 125 gr., Core-Lokt 140 gr , and Nosler BT 140 gr.

The shot will likely be 150 yards or less and my Tikka shots all of these rounds pretty much the same. Any advice would be appreciated.

Core-lokt or XP would be my choice of those three. Good luck on your hunt. The axis population took a pretty good hit here in Texas during that major cold storm. They aren't made for that kind of weather.

Any of those will work and shot placement should be right up the back of the front leg in the crease or even a little forward of where you would shoot a whitetail. I've shot a bunch and I can tell you from experience you do not want to walk up on a "dead" Axis and grab a leg. They have a habit of coming alive and kicking the heck out of you! Fantastic eating and a beautiful animal. Good luck on your hunt!

Neck shot w/ a 6.5 works best. That's also my choice on whitetail... I have found that axis are far more hardy than white tails.

At the end of the day though, they're not some magical creature. They all die if shot correctly. Good shot placement and good bullets = dead

Axis deer are not hard to kill and the caliber and loads you have chosen are all acceptable. I've taken over 25 axis does and bucks over the years and they have provided excellent table fare - even the old beyond their prime bucks. My wife will toss my elk out of the freezer to make room for axis steaks! I agree with the former comments - an axis doe will probably approach the best wild game you have ever served.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.