Going against the grain

ARlife4me

While I've not been a 7mil fan I bit the bullet and ordered a 7-08 AR10 barrel. My cousin's husband is a 7-08 fan for decades, so I don't need dies. I found brass and bought some low cost bullets (150gr hpbt's) for trials. I went with a 22", lightweight profile, rifle length gas system, 10 twist and muzzle threaded. $390 for the build as I wanted to go as low on cost as possible without going cheap. While I do love my fmj's, there's none to be had in this caliber.............well not exactly, there's a 174 (or 175) gr, but that's heavier than I want (might save it for a 7saum build if my 6.5prc goes good). Anyone have an odd duck AR (15 or 10) build to share?

I shoot a lot of odd duck AR15/10's. Issue you are going to have particularly with long bolt AR10's is mag length. I believe 7-08 is roughly a 2.800" bullet. Longest AR10 magazine I've found is 2.680. Some companies have AR10 looking shooting systems but it's all proprietary parts including the magazine to solve the long bolt issue.

Not all the odd, but I have a 243 Win AR-10 that I re-barreled to 6 Creed. I also have a 243 LBC (6 Grendel) AR-15 that I've had years before the 6 ARC came along. I think both are superior to their more common (308 and 223) chamberings.

I built a light weight 7mm-08 with an 18" Wilson combat barrel; it feeds without issue with factory eld-x and American gunner with Magpul mags.
IMG_2087.jpegIMG_1931.png

Yes..good eye. Intermediate gas length; adjustable gas block
I have their lite versions in 10 and 15. The 6.5creed and 308win versions without optics, 20" barrel with lite weight bcg weighs about 5# 9oz to 5# 11oz depending on if I have the creed or 308win setup. Recoil is very mild with ppu 180soft points and m80 ammo.

I had a 7mm-08 and a 243, sold the uppers and replaced them with stripped uppers waiting on someone to produce a faster twist barrel for both.

I guess it's time to find someone to twist extensions on custom barrel.
Compass lake will do it.

I sent them a rock creek and a bolt they sent me back a chambered barrel and let me pick anything I wanted (gas port size etc)

I had a 7mm-08 and a 243, sold the uppers and replaced them with stripped uppers waiting on someone to produce a faster twist barrel for both.

I guess it's time to find someone to twist extensions on custom barrel.
I bought a 243win (bear creek ?) 8 twist from primary arms (Houston) just for kicks. The 8 will do anything weight wise I want too. Th 7-08 is from McGowen (will be coming) with a 10 twist as I won't shoot anything over 150's. If my 6.5prc AR10 works well, then I'll order a 7saum for heavies (174/175 fmj mostly) with an 8.5 to 9 twist. I might forgo the 7saum and go 300rcm as there's more bullet choices and easier too find 30cals.