Goat number 2 for 2011 down

Tikkamike

I went out yesterday to get my second goat it had to be on state or private ground but that ended up working out because i found a field with 100 goats in it and probably 8-10 decent bucks. Problem was it was so hot out and the field was so flat I wouldnt get a range on them from where I was wanting to shoot which would have been 1100 ish so I had to go around and take a close shot. Shot this guy at a whopping 265 yards! He wasnt the tallest in the group but he was the heaviest so I decided id shoot him. He only measures 14 1/2 tall and scores a weak 79 1/2 but I wasnt expecting a big one anyway. He will be meat in the freezer. Sorry about the bad pic and no gun in the pic. I wasnt that excited about it so i forgot to take one in the field I had my wife snap this in the garage. I shot him with the 338 Lapua 300 SMK...
2011-09-11122321.jpg

Nice goat Mike, I wouldn't call any goat that scored close to 80 weak. I like the mass too. What range finder are you using now? I have a feeling you will be looking at better RF's soon.

Jeff

I am tired of shooting 14-15 inch goats. I have a pile of them I wish I could draw a tag where I could get a truly big one... My rangefinder is a set of Leica Geovid Binoculars. I typically have no problems with them but flat land and lots of heat makes a little difficult. I do wish they would make them in a 1600 yard configuration though.

You're killin me Mike, I spent yesterday on the family ranch, doing a little shooting & 'lope scouting.... not much moving around @ 90 degrees :D Winter kill over here was bad, might have to actually "work" for my goat this year (still 2 wks away :( Shot a couple with my finger though...:D perfect placement every time!

I went out yesterday to get my second goat it had to be on state or private ground but that ended up working out because i found a field with 100 goats in it and probably 8-10 decent bucks. Problem was it was so hot out and the field was so flat I wouldnt get a range on them from where I was wanting to shoot which would have been 1100 ish so I had to go around and take a close shot. Shot this guy at a whopping 265 yards! He wasnt the tallest in the group but he was the heaviest so I decided id shoot him. He only measures 14 1/2 tall and scores a weak 79 1/2 but I wasnt expecting a big one anyway. He will be meat in the freezer. Sorry about the bad pic and no gun in the pic. I wasnt that excited about it so i forgot to take one in the field I had my wife snap this in the garage. I shot him with the 338 Lapua 300 SMK...
2011-09-11122321.jpg

That is a very nice Goat. At least you didn't waste any meat by shooting him in the neck that close..good choice! Did you drag that big boy home in that heavy horse powered 4 wheeler off to your left? :D

Nice shoot!!!
I bet that goat hit the ground haaarrrddd after that impact. Nice, would have been nice on video!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.