Glasses, or no glasses????

7stw

Gentlemen,
This to some, May be a none issue, especially, if you dont, where glasses, but I'm looking for a consensus, as to if you should shoot, with glasses, or to adjust ocular lense to your focus needs.
In the past, when I hunt, I use binocs, for scanning. That being said, I don't have my eye glasses on, because, its difficult with binocs to get them positioned correctly. So, on that same line of thinking, I don't put My glasses on, while shooting, but have been told I should!
What do you think?

I wear mine. Keeping them on my face helps keep me from loosing them. They also act as my eye protection, if the gun should blow, do to my inherent lack of attention to detail. Everything else is secondary to me. I really haven't seen where they negatively affect my aim.

I wear mine. Keeping them on my face helps keep me from loosing them. They also act as my eye protection, if the gun should blow, do to my inherent lack of attention to detail. Everything else is secondary to me. I really haven't seen where they negatively affect my aim.
Barrelnut, do you see any point of impact change, with, without?

Well, I always wear them so it is hard to say. I have actually had a hard time acquiring the reticle the couple times I have tried without them, even with the reticle focus. So hard to say if they affect my POI by taking them on and off. It is a good question. I really don't see why they would affect (my) POI though, cause I actually sight the rifle in with them...

I am always looking at things close up on the rifle, like the zoom power, safety, etc. It would be a real pain for me to be constantly taking them on and off and would probably give me a headache in the end. :(

I use glasses primarily for reading and work with a computer, but I have a set of tri-focals for shooting. They have a small amount of distance correction. The biggest thing for me though is protecting my eyes from danger.

I think that the decision of to wear your glasses or not when shooting, depends greatly on the type of correction(near, far, both), and the degree of correction they provide. IMO, if corrected vision is necessary before or after the shot, it would make sense to use your glasses and not rely on the scope for correction. My practice is to use my glasses, and adjust the optics accordingly for all shooting whether practice, hunting, or competition. Additionally, I shoot with both eyes open, so I prefer sharp vision from both eyes, particularly if fast target acquisition is required. I have found no difference in shooting precision with or without my glasses when the optics are adjusted accordingly.

If you relate line of sight to the equation...glasses can be a pita...
Start with the lense of the glasses...some are single vision..yet as some get older we progress to triple(myself)..some of the glass companies do not make lenses that are corrected from side to side..only center of view...so while looking into your scope you have to know what position to SEE best...center vision glasses do not give much chance other than headon viewing..whereas full width lenses allow you to adjust you eyeball rather than your head...
The same applies to bow shooters.....
anchoring points for non-glassed shooters is different than lense handicapped...my anchor points were my jaw with the thumb anchored on one side and trigger finger to other side and string on end of nose..before trifocals.....after trifocals I had to turn my head to see thru center of lenses..changed the ballgame for accuracy...
But the overall key to viewing shooting anything is watching the target and only putting the crosshair where you are supposed to hit..all FOCUS is supposed to be on the target....
Binos....get one that has the adjustable eyepiece made for glass wearers....take that equation away...the picture you see is in the bino or spotter...that's where your focus should be...

I hear you on the binos PITA, but many years ago no one wore glasses for PPE. If you wore sunglasses you were "special". Now they are given to all. I wear mine when I shoot because I reload.:eek:

I never consistently wore them until a few years ago and then thought about how many animals I may have not seen. Worn them ever since. I also wear contacts but because of slight need for cheaters I experience the double/ unclear reticle.

My hunting glasses are a set of Oakleys that have the prescription in them. Not cool, but provide a large enough view that the frame stays out of the ocular view.

I've often wondered about this question also. I decided to just keep mine on all the time. I also reload:eek:....Had a bad eye infection years ago and almost lost my sight in my target eye. It left a scar on my eye and I often have issues getting focused in....I do the look away, blink blink, back to the scope thing often when target shooting. When hunting I don't have the issue since I'm not on the scope as long. I've been unable to get the opportunity to shoot 800 to 1000 yards as of yet but I'm curious if I'll even be able to get focused in on the target. One of these day I'll get to test it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.