Shooting with glasses question

Muchmore

Hey guys, after reading forever and not posting much I finally found the ONE thing I couldn't find an answer for already. Within the last year I had to get glasses for my right eye. My vision is perfect from 4 feet out but for the first 4 feet from my face, I need help. My right for some reason has lost a little flexibility up close. My left non-shooting eye, perfect.

So when I shoot now I can wear glasses and focus on the crosshairs or not wear glasses and focus on the target, but I can't seem to get both in one setting. I wear "progressive" glasses in daily use.

What do you guys do?

Very interesting question. I've only been wearing glasses for about 2yrs now. I still have some issues from time to time. I'm just the opposite of you as my close is perfect but distance has lost its edge lol but also my right eye is worse. What I do is set the diopter to focus the crosshairs and then use my parallax setting fo focus the target. This works really well for me. As long as I do this, everything is in focus from point blank to wherever I'm looking. Ryan Cleckner explains this process in one of his books. One thing I have noticed is that it depends on what glasses I have on at the time. My sunglasses have a bigger lens than my clear glasses. My shades never give me a problem. My clear glasses have a smaller narrower lens and when I shoot with them I have to really concentrate to keep my lens in the right spot in the scope to keep from fuzzing up. Most lenses are made to where only the center ish section of them is the correct part and then fades out closer to the edges. I REALLY struggle shooting my bow as I always wear my clears hunting. I have always shot everything sort of looking over the top of my nose, if that makes any sense, I think most people do the same to some extent. When I do this I'm either looking through the nose gap between my lenses or through the "fuzzy" edge of the lens. I need to get different glasses lol. One thing you mentioned is the progressive lenses. Any chance you are experiencing the same type of thing I am with the proper part of the lenses just not lining up right with where you are looking through the scope? Have you tried the diopter focus/parallax method without your glasses? I wish you the best of luck. This can and has been an aggravation to me as well at times. I would also be interested to hear from others who may have some good advice on this subject.

What I do is set the diopter to focus the crosshairs and then use my parallax setting fo focus the target. This works really well for me. As long as I do this, everything is in focus from point blank to wherever I'm looking.
^^^ This ^^^^ I use progressive lenses and go through the same regiment.
Also it is true that the center of the lenses are correct and things start to fade toward the edges. I tend to shoot looking through those edges too... So I have a small window to work with but can usually settle into it pretty easily.

Ok thank you guys I am glad to hear it is not just me and these "silly" progressive lenses. I just do not like how fuzzy they get off-center. I have not played with the diopter---yet. It's amazing how azzbackwards I can get things in such a short time so I have refrained from turning to many knobs at once :)

I only have the one set of glasses so far so I'm not even trying sunglasses or anything yet. This is my first set of glasses and so far I do not like having to find the "sweet spot" for sharp focus. I may buy a pair of traditional bifocals to see if I like them better.

Come to think of it, our situations sound pretty similar and I was adopted at birth, did either one of you travel thru Missouri in 1974? 😂

Well, not in 1974....
Bet we are probably kin though, cause I think most modern humanoids who hunt are part neanderthal. ;)
I can verify with 99.99998% accuracy I am 12% neanderthal. I have AKC papers to prove it! Ancestry says that apparently, that's fairly normal.

For me scopes aren't like PC's where you can just hit reset when you get in trouble. I've worried that now that I am introducing a new variable into the equation (glasses) that I may never find that "sweet spot" of sharp focus if I try to correct too much with parallax. It's not like you can just take off the glasses and see if it's back to neutral/sharp/default.

Your situation sounds like me in my mid to late 40's. I've tried progressive lenses 3 different times and could not get use to it. For seeing distance and close up I would go with bifocal lenses with the top being clear. Then adjust the scope like the folks have suggested.

When I've needed glasses for working I used bifocals where the top lenses was set up to work on a computer and the bottom was for reading up close.

Nowadays i use trifocals with the top for distance, the middle for computer, and the bottom for up close reading.

Well the year is right but I was born abroad as my dad was Army lol. Don't feel bad, you are not alone in this lol. The reason I don't have issues with my sunglasses is because the larger lenses and the fuzzy area is far enough to the edge that I can still see clear vs my smaller lens clears. You can bet my next set of clears will have bigger lenses lol. My range buddy has worse eyes than me and at some point will most likely have to switch to shooting left eye. His condition causes him to see multiple centers of the crosshairs, on the finer ffp ones. He does better with the thicker sfp reticles but still has problems at times. All in the right eye too lol. Since you're sight is golden at distance still I would try shooting without the glasses and try to use the diopter/parallax method and see if that helps. Keep trying different things and let us know what you find. Good luck

Your situation sounds like me in my mid to late 40's. I've tried progressive lenses 3 different times and could not get use to it. For seeing distance and close up I would go with bifocal lenses with the top being clear. Then adjust the scope like the folks have suggested.

When I've needed glasses for working I used bifocals where the top lenses was set up to work on a computer and the bottom was for reading up close.

Nowadays i use trifocals with the top for distance, the middle for computer, and the bottom for up close reading.

My only reason for going with progressive lenses was to get rid of lines in the glass. Can you have modern bi-trifocals without the lines? And, yes I'm 47 :)

My clear glasses have a smaller narrower lens and when I shoot with them I have to really concentrate to keep my lens in the right spot in the scope to keep from fuzzing up. Most lenses are made to where only the center ish section of them is the correct part and then fades out closer to the edges.
Same here, at least with my progressives! At least keep the reticle clear, not the target and in fact all your focus should be on the reticle and where it is at the break of the shot, not on the 'target'... as also well stated in Ryan's book.
I REALLY struggle shooting my bow as I always wear my clears hunting. ... I'm either looking through the nose gap between my lenses or through the "fuzzy" edge of the lens. I need to get different glasses lol. One thing you mentioned is the progressive lenses. Any chance you are experiencing the same type of thing I am with the proper part of the lenses just not lining up right with where you are looking through the scope?
I too shoot archery and I solved all my vison-related issues and/or complaints (especially as I age ... ) by getting single-line bifocals for my shooting. They work great for rifle shooting -prone, bench or offhand ... as well as for archery!

I still wear my progressives (with Transitions lens-darkening feature) for 'daily' wear, but I switch out to the bifocals for all my shootin'!