giving credit where credit is due; Boyds

youngbuck

Had a 264WM built on m77 MKII, the donor was given to me my by uncle, a 338WM. I had no need for a 338WM but it was from my uncle, who was right there with my dad for me growing up hunting. Anyways, it had the factory boat paddle stock. I actually liked it and planned on keeping it. It ended up being too flimsy and not what I was looking for. Found a Boyds varmint pro laminate. I ordered it. I spent under 200$. I got a limbsaver pad added and laser checkering added, pretty much most of the bells and whistles offered. It came in at barely over 3lbs. I couldn't be happier. I can post photos later when everything is put together. Anybody looking for a tactical option on a budget or a stock for a less than popular platform take a look at the Boyds pro varmint. This is my first Boyds stock and am not associated with them what so ever. It is just rare to find something that works so well for less than you expect; high comb, vertical grip, wide fore end, light weight, and less money than anyone else. I've got a 260rem on the horizon for the wife and it will be sporting a Boyds pro Varmint.

Had a 264WM built on m77 MKII, the donor was given to me my by uncle, a 338WM. I had no need for a 338WM but it was from my uncle, who was right there with my dad for me growing up hunting. Anyways, it had the factory boat paddle stock. I actually liked it and planned on keeping it. It ended up being too flimsy and not what I was looking for. Found a Boyds varmint pro laminate. I ordered it. I spent under 200$. I got a limbsaver pad added and laser checkering added, pretty much most of the bells and whistles offered. It came in at barely over 3lbs. I couldn't be happier. I can post photos later when everything is put together. Anybody looking for a tactical option on a budget or a stock for a less than popular platform take a look at the Boyds pro varmint. This is my first Boyds stock and am not associated with them what so ever. It is just rare to find something that works so well for less than you expect; high comb, vertical grip, wide fore end, light weight, and less money than anyone else. I've got a 260rem on the horizon for the wife and it will be sporting a Boyds pro Varmint.

I did the same except I went with B&C in 2011 >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/ruger-m77-mkii-facelift-range-report-40952/

Looking forward to your pix.

I bought one for a SPS LA Rem 700 and was so happy I bought a second for a SA model 700. Tried both stocks without bedding after torqueing front action screw to 40 in/lb and rear 35 in/lb. Both rifles shoot very accurately.

On one stock some wood was removed so the notch underneath was very close to swivel stud. Using a 1" forstner bit I hollowed out the stock in two places. Drilled two parallel holes in rear of stock then chiseled out the web. Also drilled into bottom of grip then glued in a wafer of wood. Stock lost approx. 7 oz.

Thanks for sharing that you had the pad changed. Think I will call them and see what custom options they offer for this stock.

If there was a complaint with this design it would be the angular shaped recoil pad. Would prefer it to be the usual oval. Also it would be great to have a second option of a standard tapered lower part instead of the notched shape. Can't complain too much as the black painted version is $125 shipped.

I have been thinking hard about getting a Boyds laminated stock for a Swede M-96 Mauser 6.5x55 that I made a hunting rifle out of about 10 or so years ago. At the time the only replacement sporting type stock that I could find was a cheep-o plastic stock that I had to do a bunch of work on to stiffen it up but is still not what I want. This rifle is a shooter though and it deserves a much better stock.

The Boyd's stocks are a great value, have bedded about 12 of them. Very strong, look good and priced right. The last Boyds I bedded was their Tacticool model for a friend's Savage. This stock looks great and the optional Limbsaver pad and nutmeg color were icing on the cake. IMO all Boyd's benefit greatly with bedding.

Funny... just did the same install on my buddy's Savage 16 in 22-250. Didn't get any extras just the plain-jane stock and I think it was less than $150 to my door. Yet to see if it needs bedding work but so far it shoots the same as the factory Accu-Stock. Looks good and feels good for sure.

I would recommend :)

Attachments

• 20141006_113831.jpg
    20141006_113831.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 5,452
I have 4 Boyds. Got 1 for my Vanguard. It worked so well I got 2 more.

When I rebarreled my 243 to a Pac-Nor Target Weight, I came across an unfinished walnut on Boyds so I got that. It was not a high grade of wood but it sure works well and I don't have to worry about 'experimenting' with the stock.

There are those on the forum who are of the belief that they can't be good because they are inexpensive. Not my feelings at all.

I would recommend them to anyone. A little work required, sure. Don't they all require some work.

BTW: My Richards Microfit is a total disaster on the raw. Someday it will be properly inlet. gun)Sorry, I don't usually say negative things but the RM stock was a lot less than I expected. Just a raw CNC milled laminate.

To me Boyds has always been one of the exceptions to the rule "you get what you pay for". They are a quality stock at a bargain basement price. I have had half a dozen or more of their stocks and have installed many more for friends (in fact I have two waiting for me now).

I have always preferred the wood look over the more popular tactical look. Most recently I got the pro varmint in their coyote color for my 280. Very pleased indeed. There will be more of their stocks in my future.

Attachments

• 280 Ackley2.jpg
    280 Ackley2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,878
I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but I'd be interested in knowing how much weight the Boyds' added, or what they weigh bare. I'm thinking of putting one (most likely the pro varmint) on a savage build but don't want it crazy heavy as it'll be used hunting on foot. Thanks.

I don't know if anyone is still watching this thread, but I'd be interested in knowing how much weight the Boyds' added, or what they weigh bare. I'm thinking of putting one (most likely the pro varmint) on a savage build but don't want it crazy heavy as it'll be used hunting on foot. Thanks.

Most of the weights are listed somewhere on their site........usually. If they are not give them a call, they will be happy to oblige. They usually run a few ounces heavier than a fibreglass stock but not much. You can also drill out the buttstock and gain a few ounces if you're good......or very very careful.......preferably both. :D

56, as AZ Shooter posted on this thread removed material from stock to the tune of 7 oz. I've bedded over 10 Boyd's and they are very strong, but they all need inletting checked and bedding. I think Boyd's should offer the Pro-Varmint (formerly Tacticool) for many more makes and models. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.