Getting your heavy deer into the truck

Twanger

Ok guys & gals, what are your tricks for getting a heavy deer into the truck by yourself?

I've got a few methods, but am always looking for a better way.
Here are my two favorites. They take a minimum of inexpensive equipment and can be used almost anywhere.

#1 - The "Truck Back-up" method: Pull truck up to a tree. Tie rope about 8-feet high in tree, throw it over top of cab, down the bed, over the gate (down) and tie it to the deer. Back the truck up 6-inches at a time, jumping out to adjust the rope and deer as you inch backwards. Eventually you'll pull the deer up in the truck. Tricky, but it works.

#2 - The "Block and Tackle" method: Back up under a stout limb that's 10-12 feet off the ground. While standing in the truck bed throw a rope over the limb and rig your block and tackle. Pull truck forward, drag the deer under the limb and hoist it up high. Back truck up under the deer and lower him into the bed. Easier than #1 above.

An 8 foot section of ladder works pretty well. Lay the deer (or bungy cord it down) on the ladder, pick one end of the ladder up and set on the tailgate. Pick up the other end and slide ladder and deer into the truck. The ladder lays in the back your truck out of the way until you need it. Also works well for getting a deer over a woven wire fence easily.

I learned this while hunting at my grampa's farm alone. I had a big buck to load and saw an old ladder leaning against his barn. Works like a charm!

You can also use a cheap portable winch and screw it to the end of the bed of your pick up truck. From there you just tie the deers head and pull him up with the winch. You may only need to guide it while pulling him. Simple and cheap

I get on the tail gate and pick it up and put it in. we have big deer here in wyoming and its not that big of a deal usually. sometimes ill hook a come along in the bed and pull it in that way if its too heavy or if its an elk i want to load whole. Cutting them in half is another great option

I use a wooden load ramp with a game cart. I've only had to use it on a couple of animals. Most deer I can stand in the truck and pull them up. But, as I get older it is getting tougher. Cart and Ramp make for quick work.

I have been using the "man up" method for years now, and it still works well into the back of my pickup, but I have a hell of a time with this method when trying to get a big buck into the back of my Ranger by myself. It's because the box is so much shorter, which gives me WAY less leverage and room to pull from. Any ideas on this?

I like the "ladder" method, but that isn't going to cut it in the Ranger.

Yup, I've done that one a few times too. I actually prefer that to what I normally do because it means I'm hunting somewhere different than normal :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.