Getting into PRS. How do I get started?

Creedmoor shooter

Hey all, I've recently been invited to join a northern prs league that would compete in NH, Maine, and Massachusetts. I've never done this sort of thing before(other than casual long range) and I'm looking for some pointers on how to get started. This more of a casual league so the pressure wont be that high, but theres still prizes and such to win. I'm leaving my rifle the way it is for now to see how I like it. Here's my rifle set up and I would like to hear your thoughts
Savage model 12 action
Criterion varmint contour 26in 6.5 creed 8 twist
H-s precision M24 stock with factory 5 round mag
Vortex ps-t gen2 5-25x50 SFP

My barrel is currently at the smith getting threaded. I have a 2 piece 3 port beast brake from muzzle brakes and more on the way. I have a sig kilo 2000 range finder and my ballistic app is the hornady 4dof.

I dont have any prs style bags so I'll be looking for suggestions there as well. Max range will be 1100 yards and more commonly in the 600-700 yard max range. Thanks in advance for any and all advice given!

Will your action take aics mags? You will want 10rd mags if you can. Get a backpack and put two different sized rear bags in it also food and hydrabag. I liked a long bipod so I could shoot prone to sitting and if it to long just put one bag under it at times. A larger light bag works at times for under you chest to give you support. Start practicing shooting in very unconventional positions and heights. And oh ya a sack full of money as this game can get very expensive. good luck

You need a ten round mag.
With that and a five rounder to swap you should be fine.
I use my accuracy first rear bag and a backpack with a coat stuffed in it for fill and it worked great.
I posted a similar thread last year and greyfox recommended this book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1537174789/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Buy it, it'll tell you everything you need to know.

I use a sfp scope for now too, a ffp is advantageous for a lot of stages. Other than that go have fun

I kinda figured I'd need a 10 round mag. My bottom metal wont accept AICS mags. I believe savage makes a 10 round mag that would work for now. I'm hoping to get by with one rear bag and a back pack as I'm kinda on a budget with this and just looking to go have fun. I'm slightly nervous about shooting with a sfp. Afraid I'm going to hold off and forget I have a sfp scope and miss by a mile. What do you guys suggest for practice? I have a heavy barrel savage 17 hmr and a savage target 22 that I could use to practice with. If I'm only going to buy one rear bag, what would you guys suggest?

Get a rifle you trust...... shoot rifle and get decent dope...... go shoot. Have met and talked to lots of folks and the key is to get started any way you can. The best experience for what you will need or want comes from shooting in the matches. Your rifle should be just fine. maybe get a gamechanger bag, a decent bipod and some way to quickly have 10rds per stage. you can get by with 2 5rd, but stream line your reloading.

I like my accuracy 1st rear bag but I haven't used a bunch I bought that and have always found it worked.
A sock with grain in it will work too, pretty hillbilly that lol, but I take mine along, slap them on barricades for a soft rest.
Guys will lend you bags at courses, so just rig up a backpack.
The 22 is a great way to practice your positions.
Get a throw lever for ur scope, practice cranking power up and down for plate acquisition and then shooting. Avoid holdovers if you can, too easy to mess up with sfp. Lol. With a 25x scope, I would learn to double your reticle around 12.5x and get comfy doing so. 25x is a lot to get on target and a lot courses 12.5x will be a enough magnification

Get a rifle you trust...... shoot rifle and get decent dope...... go shoot. Have met and talked to lots of folks and the key is to get started any way you can. The best experience for what you will need or want comes from shooting in the matches. Your rifle should be just fine. maybe get a gamechanger bag, a decent bipod and some way to quickly have 10rds per stage. you can get by with 2 5rd, but stream line your reloading.
I'm very comfortable with this rifle. Shooting it is second nature to me. I've got 1100ish rounds down the pipe of it so I'm comfortable. From what I've seen and read most guys say just use what you got and just go shoot and get your feet wet. Alot of guys like a bag called the tactical udder. I've heard good things about the game changer as well. I will go ahead and get a 10 round mag just to make life easier.

I like my accuracy 1st rear bag but I haven't used a bunch I bought that and have always found it worked.
A sock with grain in it will work too, pretty hillbilly that lol, but I take mine along, slap them on barricades for a soft rest.
Guys will lend you bags at courses, so just rig up a backpack.
The 22 is a great way to practice your positions.
Get a throw lever for ur scope, practice cranking power up and down for plate acquisition and then shooting. Avoid holdovers if you can, too easy to mess up with sfp. Lol. With a 25x scope, I would learn to double your reticle around 12.5x and get comfy doing so. 25x is a lot to get on target and a lot courses 12.5x will be a enough magnification
If I'd known a prs league was going to happen here I would've bought the ffp. I know I'll rarely use 25x. I'll have to make a mark on my scope where 12.5 power is and just remember the hash Mark's are doubled. I dial for everything except wind so it's not natural for me to want to hold over.

I kinda figured I'd need a 10 round mag. My bottom metal wont accept AICS mags. I believe savage makes a 10 round mag that would work for now. I'm hoping to get by with one rear bag and a back pack as I'm kinda on a budget with this and just looking to go have fun. I'm slightly nervous about shooting with a sfp. Afraid I'm going to hold off and forget I have a sfp scope and miss by a mile. What do you guys suggest for practice? I have a heavy barrel savage 17 hmr and a savage target 22 that I could use to practice with. If I'm only going to buy one rear bag, what would you guys suggest?
Take 2 ten round mags - some stages can require a mag change

If I'd known a prs league was going to happen here I would've bought the ffp. I know I'll rarely use 25x. I'll have to make a mark on my scope where 12.5 power is and just remember the hash Mark's are doubled. I dial for everything except wind so it's not natural for me to want to hold over.
Some stages can require a holdover, some can require dialing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.