getting started

Taco Slayer

ive been lurking for awhile and im looking for advice in my reading ive become very interested in some of the quaterbores mostly the 25 stw i was originaly looking at a 7mm stw but i dont think its necessary for white tails i also looked at the recoil being similar to my dads 300 weatherby i decided against it because id like to shoot it more often to do this im looking at rebarreling my savage 110 along with a new bolthead.

Hello, If your going to be shooting this alot, I'd shy away from the overbore magnum cartridges. Because your throat life in the barrel. Unless you have alot of money to buy more barrels.

I've been shooting the 25-06 and 25-06 Ackley Improved the last 7 years. You get decent velocity out of a 26" barrel, and can be plenty accurate in a minimum spec chamber and match grade barrel in 1-10" twist.

Advantages are, less powder consumption than magnums, less recoil ,can spot your own shots easier, less muzzle blast, barrel dosn't heat up as fast, more choices in brass than STW cases, quality brass can be necked down for 25-06 such as Norma, Lapua and RWS, no belt on cartridge.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice i will keep that in mind
for the quaterbores i see the most loads with a 100 nosler ballistic tips
my dad and brother shoot 165s out of a 308 and a 300 weatherby but in 25 cal would they be as effective on deer at close range or longer range

I haven't shot long range deer with my 25-06 , just varmints. Later this year Intend to change that. With my confidence level in my scope and rifle and load and a good solid rest I could accuratley hit a deer in the vitals close to 600 yards. I'm sure with the right bullet it would do the job too. I wouldn't hesitate to use a bullet like the 110 accubond or Berger 115 VLD on a deer at these ranges. I heard that Berger is coming out with 2 new bullets for the quarterbore a 125 grain VLD and a boatail. If they are out by fall I might try those on deer.

25-06 with the 115VLD from Bergergun)deadly on deer shot a doe this year with one at 526yrds she went flat.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts