Getting the most Browning Hunter X-Bolt 30-06

So far it's liked 180 TSX a best. I took my elk with terminal accent but after shooting more it really didn't like it. Just got a few eldx 178 to try but I really would prefer a mono if I can.
With factory ammo your more stuck with what brand load your rifle likes best vs what you'd prefer to shoot. This very discussion is what caused me to get into handloading, years ago one could buy several brands of factory ammo and find what shot the best, then just go out and buy that. Nowadays if you dont buy the whole store supply of one brand you probably wont see it again for another 2 years... or more. And youd get lucky if that box was the exact bullet you wanted to shoot.

Also another note if your rifle was brand new it could also be the barrel "settled in" after about 100rds and you could be fighting that new POI or group size.

Buy a cheap 22lr or 223 for practice.
Agreed. I got these little Rugers the come threaded so you can even put a tuner on and make them shoot better than a $375 rifle has any business shooting. The 17HMR shot 1" at 100 yards after trying a couple boxes of Hornady and doing some light sorting, the 22LR was a little more difficult because it was shooting ~40 year old Remingtons, but good enough at 50 yards to have a good time just the same. If I ran some of my random 22LR match ammo through it I had no doubt it would shrink down a lot.

@QuietTexan - I had all the components picked out over thanksgiving to do exactly that. Would have come in at right around 3k after the gunsmithing. Got laid off from a struggling tech startup right before thanksgiving so had to make the "wise" decision and wait. So still want to shoot in the meantime and get the most out of what I already own.
I hear you, plus there's a lot to be gained by doing things yourself also. You'll come out of this a better shooter and better able to work on your rifles, no one can take away skills you learn and earn 👍

Also another note if your rifle was brand new it could also be the barrel "settled in" after about 100rds and you could be fighting that new POI or group size.

Gun is about 10 years old now and probably have about 250 rounds down barrel.

Have you ever used one of the clamp on brakes? I don't think my barrel can be threaded because of how thin it is and since I'm admittedly recoil shy, I love to tame that a bit.

Gun is about 10 years old now and probably have about 250 rounds down barrel.

Have you ever used one of the clamp on brakes? I don't think my barrel can be threaded because of how thin it is and since I'm admittedly recoil shy, I love to tame that a bit.
Get one of these and forget the clamp on brake. I have them for hard hitting magnums and super light rifles.

Past Recoil Shield

B35A4AED-0EF9-4D38-AAC6-724054D26E9C.png