Getting Started With My 270

C. Smith

First off, this is a great website. I am just getting started in the long range game. For now, to me long range is going to be anything between 200 and 600 yards. If I can work my way out to there it will be a nice milestone. I am in central Texas and so I mostly hunt whitetail and hogs.
I have been looking into getting new rifle but I have a 6 month old boy so I will work with what I have for now. About 12 years ago my dad gave me a Sako 75 in 270. Last year I had it accurized at hill country rifle and they got it shooting about ¾ MOA with factory ammo. I've got a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 on order to replace the Nikon buckmaster that is on it now.
So now for my questions:
I am going to start reloading with a friend who is set up. The rifle currently shoots the hornady 130 grain very well but I was wandering what options there are for different types of bullets that yall have had success with. I am looking for a higher BC.
Also, what kind of rings do I need to use to mount the scope? The buckmaster is a 40 mm and has very little clearance. I know I will need taller rings but do I need to go with any type of rail so pick the front of the scope up? I think the rings on there now are leupold.

I'm shooting the 150 Berger VLDs in one of my 270s and it shot a .137" at 100 and a .460" at 200 yards.

Talk to a smith about which new mounting hardware you need. There are lots of good ones. May have to send a PM to one here.

The 140 accubond shot really well in the same rifle with H4831SC AND H1000.

I have changed from Federal 210M primers to 215M in this 270.

You might want to try Hodgdon H1000 and 150 Hornady SST. You should get a 20MOA rail for when you start walking it out to 1000yds. Probably need medium rings.

What kind of distance do you think I could get out to without a rail and just use scope rings? By just doing a quick search, rails for sako 75's are not easy to come by. If a rail is a must have then i will add that later when I progress.

Thanks for the replies. Have a happy New Year!

Cody

You should easily be able to get your goal of 600 yards without a 20 MOA rail. My 270 loved the 140 grain SST in front of a heavy dose of RL 22. It shot them lights out to 300 yards on the range, but I honestly never shot it past that before I sold the gun.

If I were you I'd look at the 140 or 150 grain Berger, the 140 or 150 grain Hornady SST or even the Interbond or Nosler Accubond if you want a tougher bullet. Good luck getting everything set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.