Getting Started

thanks for the reply, I definitely want the LSS after reading this. Time to "hunt" for one. My budget should allow it in about 2 weeks. Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

snipervls,

I am happy for your decision. I don't think you will be disappointed. The LSS is a very nice looking rifle, I have recieved many complements from friends and gun club members. I have several M700's and they all shoot under MOA with hand loads.
Are you going with the 7mm Rem Mag or the 300 Win Mag? What will you be hunting with your new LSS?
Keep us posted on your "hunt".

Regards,

JD338

a lot of the places around me cant get the 7mm mag version anymore, so it might be the .300 for the LSS.

Id like to go for some elk/moose and whatever else. My concern is what happens when I am out hunting and I come across a Grizz, Id feel undergunned with the .308, the 7mm or 300 would pack more punch in such a situation. Other than that, Im confident I could take elk or moose with the VLS with a well placed shot. Id just rather do it more humanely, if that makes sense, and be better protected at the same time.

I still might get the Sendero too. Id prefer that in 7mm mag, decent recoil with that accuracy just makes me tingle all over. I dont think I could lay down all day and shoot a .300 win mag as easily as I could the 7mm mag. The Sendero should shoot great due ot its weight. Adding a bipod and good scope would help even further.

Actually, maybe the LSS in 7mm, and the Sendero SF in 300?

decisions decisions, lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

how does the LSS barrel like factory ammo such as Rem and Federal?

I might be buying one from a guy but he says he only shoots custom Hornady. I assume it'll shoot any ammo decent, just curious.

Bah, all barrels are different so what shoots good for one might not shoot good out of the other. Im just wasting bandwidth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

:goes in the corner

snipervls,

The gun show in Grand Rapids, MI is this weekend. Yesterday, I saw a M700 LSS in 7mm Rem Mag new in the box for $689.00?
If you are interested, I can send the contact information on the gun shop to you.
They are checking on a M700P and M700 Sendero 300RUM for me.

Regards,

JD338

You have already got a 338RUM so that takes care of the big stuff.

You said you want to shoot target with it also. That means 300 Win Mag in my book over the RUM.

Sendaros are easier to find around military base like Fort Bragg. Call Eds Gunshop in Southern Pines NC, probably has 3-4 used setting on shelf and maybe a couple new. If not he will have one in a week or two.

I like the mil dot over the BC reticle. However both require a program such as Exbal ($50)that allows you to determine exactly what the holds are for each dot or bar. Just took a 4-14 BC with a 300 Hart (zero at 300 and bottom bar was 720).

Skim bed the Sendaro, adjust the trigger and when you rebarrel go to the Holland or Tubbs recoil lug. Until then just shoot and enjoy.

BH

bountyhunter,

Thanks for the note. My FFL buddy is looking for a Sendero
for me in either 300 WM or RUM. I will take which ever one he finds for me.
Meanwhile:
I am having my M700 280 rebarreled with a Hart 24" #5 flutted and chambered for 280 Rem AI. I think this will start me off in the right direction for LR shooting/hunting.
A Leupold 3.5-10 Mil Dot and a Nosler 160 gr AB at 3000 fps should reach out and touch something @ 600 yds+.

I also getting a Leoupold 4-14 Mil Dot for my M700LSS 338 RUM and have a serious killer for the bigger critters. I think the 225 gr AB's should work @ 1k yds.

Am I on the right track?

Regards,

JD338

JD338

I would suggest going to a 26" on the 280 AI, will need the extra 2". Just do not see the need or usefullness of an AI in 24" barrel. Counterproductive, not sure it will be worth going up from a standard 280 for the money. Both will do 600 easy.

have your ffl buddy call Eds and negotiate a deal. Ed does not like guns to set, he moves them with very little markup.

BH

Bountyhunter,

I called Directory Assistance to get Ed's number. It's 910-692-7936. He had one 300 UM Sendero for $779. What do you think of the 7mm UM Sendero? I'm new to lrh.com and found nothing by searching on the 7mm UM Sendero.

Are you guys condsidering the Sendero 300UM for bench or hunting?

Regards,
jrmac

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts