Getting ready for elk and mule deer hunting

Ernie

SPONSOR
Getting my 284 Win XP ready for elk and mule deer this year. The stock was done by a good friend. 162 grain A-Max at 2625 fps.
Recently I sent my barreled action off to Chris Rhodes (Bayside Custom Gunworks) for him to cerakote it.
Some like the blued action and stainless barrel look, but I think this just looks classy now.
While getting a hard zero and confirming drops out to 700 yards, I met a young man who is a dedicated mule deer hunter.
He was getting his rifle ready for high country mule deer hunting. He had never shot at 400 yards with any kind of weapon.
After working on some shooting techniques with his rifle, I asked him if he would like to shoot my XP.
He said, "Yes!" I suggested we shoot at 500 yards, and he told me he had never shot that far before. I said that was no problem and walked him through on how to shoot the XP, and let him practice several times by dry firing. I only had two rounds left.
He shot twice and hit twice. Just under 3". He thought it was so cool that he now wants a XP for high country mule deer hunting.
He shot his smallest group ever at 200 yards - 1.5 inches with his rifle (A Rem 700 chambered in 270 Win./factory ammo) as well. Yes, I worked with him on the basics of shooting with his rifle as well.
Before this he was satisfied with 2-3" groups at 100 yards.
I think the hook is set deep with this one.
The smile on his face was priceless when he was telling his hunting buddy what he had just accomplished.

Agreed.
Not that anyone else would know, but I only had one loaded round left and I gave it to him before the pic.
After his last shot I had him remove the case, checked it, had him close the bolt and press the trigger.
What was funny was when he was shooting, was to get him to put his finger on the trigger and keep it there.
Dell triggers are light, like a Jewel, and he had never used such a light trigger before.
I wasn't paying attention where his trigger finger was during the pics.

That's awesome Ernie.

lightbulbThe young lad might want to re-consider best place to rest his right forefinger though.:D:cool:gun)lightbulb

Edited so your email doesn't get harvested by spam bots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the 284 Win in an SP. I've been packing my Striker in 284 around for deer season here in WA. We're running very similar loads too, I shoot the 168 Berger VLD at 2650.

What do you consider the effective hunting range of your setup on deer? I use my setup for targets out to 1400 yards but I've always considered it a 750 yard deer weapon at most.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.