7 Dakota (Thunder) is ready for elk

Very impressive stuff Ernie
Looking forward to seeing some elk photos

Thank you.
Some knee surgery has slowed me down...Still on crutches and in a brace, but trying to get ready. 7 Dakota is ready as is the 26 Nosler XP-100. 44 Magnum revolver is in hte game as well

That Is a nice set up. How long is the barrel? It is surprising that you can get that kind of velocity in a short barrel. How is the muzzle blast? From the video it doesn't seem to bad. Are you getting a complete powder burn and what would you say the minimum barrel length would be for a complete burn in your cartridge?

It's amazing how accurate you are with a pistol.

That Is a nice set up. How long is the barrel? It is surprising that you can get that kind of velocity in a short barrel. How is the muzzle blast? From the video it doesn't seem to bad. Are you getting a complete powder burn and what would you say the minimum barrel length would be for a complete burn in your cartridge?

It's amazing how accurate you are with a pistol.

18" barrel.
I don't know how to answer that question other than suggesting if I wasn't getting a good powder burn, I would not be getting these MV's and excellent accuracy

I don't really worry about getting a complete powder burn when shooting the bigger chamberings in a short barrel. If I can get the performance and accuracy I want, I don't really care how much powder gets burned.

That said, I think there's a much more complete burn in these short barrels than most people think. I ran some numbers through Quickload and it says that a full power load from a 7 Dakota is burning around 98-99% of the powder in an 18" barrel.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't messed around with short barrels and I am not doing a pistol but I am looking at doing a bullpup 300NM with an 18" barrel to push 215 bergers. My preferred powder would normally H1000 and I was hoping to end up at about 2850fps. From what I can find out the velocity sounds like it might be doable.
A lot of feedback is that it will be to brutal to shoot with the muzzle blast?
I figured if anyone would have insight on this it would be guys running pistols.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.