The 7 Dak is getting ready to roll

Ernie

SPONSOR

1-9T 7mm Dakota with H-S Precision center-grip stock, Brux barrel, Holland's Radial Baffle brake.
Work finished up by Michael DeLoach at Nine Run Gun.
Leupold Mark 4 FFP 6.5-20 with Holland's ART MOA reticle.
Retumbo and 180 Hybrids. Long Range big game rig.

Looks great! Once my 284 barrel is done I think I'll replace it with a 7mm Dakota. It seems like the perfect fit for an SP.

I love my 7 dakota's. Got a number of them. BUT I don't know if I'd go down that rabbit hole if I didn't already have dies and a ton of brass like I do. The 7-300win will match it with much more common brass.

Aaron

I love my 7 dakota's. Got a number of them. BUT I don't know if I'd go down that rabbit hole if I didn't already have dies and a ton of brass like I do. The 7-300win will match it with much more common brass.

Aaron

The brass availability is the only thing that's slowed me down. I'll probably chicken out and go with a 7mm/375 Ruger. I have 100's of Ruger cases and it gives identical performance to the Dakota. It just doesn't sound as cool!

I bought up a bunch of RWS 404 brass that I've formed into dakotas. Its tough stuff and seems to hold up a lot better than the norma dakota brass I used to start with. I'm still shooting the norma stuff but the pockets are starting to get a little loose.

Aaron

Does the 180 Hybrid beat the 200 Wildcat downrange for terminal as well as external ballistics? Doesn't the 200 deliver more energy downrange? I'm also thinking about another big build on the Striker, and the 7-375 Ruger does sound intriguing. BTW, have fun with that new rig Ern.

Whats the BC of the 200's? I wouldn't shoot the 180's at specialty pistol speeds without annealing them. My limited testing showed that they expanded MUCH better at 1800fps when they were annealed.

Never shot the 200's. Heard good things though. Killed a Mt. Goat last fall with the 195 berger. Which is another bullet in that class that you should look at.

Aaron

I thought I remembered seeing .75 for the 200. I'll have to look again. Been awhile since I used them. Killed a 4 pt. buck 10 years ago or so with the 200 out of my 7-270 WSM XP at 325 I think it was, and it performed well as I remember. Saw the 195, and thought the 200 was so close to it BC-wise that I would just stick with the 200 since I have so many of them now--~200 or so. Interesting about the bullet annealing. Have read a bit about it but haven't done it yet--most of my BG hunting is with archery anyway. Just want one more BG pistol if/when needed. Ernie what do you think? Why did you go to the 180 when the 195 seems to be at the top of the heap?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.