Getting back into 6.5

WeiserBucks

Had a 6.5x284 running 140 VLDs a few years ago and loved it. I'm going to be getting a 6.5 WSM 7 twist as soon as it gets shipped.

There's a pile of new 6.5 bullets out now and I can't decide what I want to do. Do I run the proven 140 VLDs ? 140 Hybrids? 156s ? I'm a Berger guy and looking for a little advice. Will be used on deer , I have other rifles for elk .

D416B1E2-48B2-4D0F-B8FB-CF06F592AAFE.jpeg
Had a 6.5x284 running 140 VLDs a few years ago and loved it. I'm going to be getting a 6.5 WSM 7 twist as soon as it gets shipped.

There's a pile of new 6.5 bullets out now and I can't decide what I want to do. Do I run the proven 140 VLDs ? 140 Hybrids? 156s ? I'm a Berger guy and looking for a little advice. Will be used on deer , I have other rifles for elk .
I also am a burger guy I Shoot a 65 x284 Norma with burger Vld hunting 140 g all I can say if it ain't broke don't fix it

Man, I would be tempted to give the 156's a try. You won't have a problem spinning them with that twist.

Any reason you went 1:7", unless you plan to run a 137 Hammer?
My new 6.5SS is running a 1:7.5", and even though I only have 51 rounds down the barrel, it is slinging the 156 Elites with pinpoint accuracy out to 300 yards so far. Hoping the AZ monsoons open up the desert this week, so I can go shoot a couple from 545 out to 1200+ before my pronghorn hunt in a couple weeks.

FYI - we hunt / shoot with 6.5 CM (Fierce), 6.5x284 CA Classic, 270 WSM CA Classic, and 7LRM GW Magnus. Optics: NF NXS, ATACR, & Leupold VX6 HD... Right now we're running Scenar 139's in the 6.5's. Just an intro...not a brag. Hunting and shooting with my children is a real relationship thing that has blessed our family, a tradition that we aim to keep. As they say, "the family that prays together, stays together", so it often is that the family that hunts together, stays together…

View attachment 144157
Hi, new to the forum here. Can you tell me about this build? Stock, action, barrel - builder and cost? Really like it!
OK my rifle to start with is a Trued Remington long action With a timney Calvin elite trigger a proof carbon fiber barrel 26 inches one in 8 twist with an APA little B brake in a manner's EH1 stock I believe the camo pattern is called Desert Sage I also have an atlas bipod night force one piece rail with 20 Moa elevation nightforce ultralight rings and a night force Nsx 5.5x22 x 56 all In I guess around $5000. That was built by a gunsmith and friend of mine named Dave Austin at a little shop called Surematch in Savannah Tennessee

Hi.. I shoot 6.5,Creedmoor usually I use 140 gn nosler cuctom competition at the range.. But vld Berger is my bullet of choice for hunting.. They look alike but they act different!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts