Getting back into 6.5

OK my rifle to start with is a Trued Remington long action With a timney Calvin elite trigger a proof carbon fiber barrel 26 inches one in 8 twist with an APA little B brake in a manner's EH1 stock I believe the camo pattern is called Desert Sage I also have an atlas bipod night force one piece rail with 20 Moa elevation nightforce ultralight rings and a night force Nsx 5.5x22 x 56 all In I guess around $5000. That was built by a gunsmith and friend of mine named Dave Austin at a little shop called Surematch in Savannah Tennessee
Thanks, Bill. That sounds like a good value and should be a good performer. Maybe I can give him some business. I'm sorry to have hijacked this thread, I wasn't sure how to reply privately… My apologies, WeiserBucks.

Thanks, Bill. That sounds like a good value and should be a good performer. Maybe I can give him some business. I'm sorry to have hijacked this thread, I wasn't sure how to reply privately… My apologies, WeiserBucks.
Not a problem it took me a little while to figure out things as well I'm still learning and it is a good performer I have my third barrel coming in now I've had this rifle for several years now I wish you would give Dave some business you will not be disappointed. Surematch in Savannah Tennessee 731-926-3272

The setup you have is made for the heaviest 6.5s. No reason not to start with the 156s considering you plan on using Bergers. In my limited experience with it (about 50 round from two different PRC setups) I can say it is on par with the other EOLs. Easy to load for and very consistent. Anxious to see performance on game but really not worried. We set up with twist rates to shoot the 170/270 and 195/7mm in our mags and have used nothing else since for hunting. Would like to see a 6.5/160gr ABLR/game changer/ELDs.

The 140 Berger hybrids are very seating depth forgiving. For a gun with a big case though, seems like the 156's would natural fit, assuming they fly well.

Now for the fun question! This rifle has a 30" barrel currently. I hunt and shoot suppressed exclusively. This barrel WILL be cut shorter , but how short ? I have zero experience with a 6.5 WSM and don't know where to draw the line. I currently shoot 7 RM and 300 WM both at 24" and wish they were shorter.

I don't have an answer to your question, but am curious about the 6.5 WSM. How does that compare to the 6.5 SAUM or the PRC in design efficiency, case capacity, velocity?

I don't have an answer to your question, but am curious about the 6.5 WSM. How does that compare to the 6.5 SAUM or the PRC in design efficiency, case capacity, velocity?

I'm not positive. It has a little more capacity than the SAUM but I have zero experience with the PRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.