Back into the bear.

25 Otter

Hey all. I've got a little quandry. Used to hunt blackies here in PA years ago. It was in those days a drive and watcher affair. 8 or 10 of us would hook up for 3 days of pushing laurel and hemlock. I was never lucky enough to be one of the shooters,but our group did pretty well over all. At any rate,I bought a license this year. The old hunting party has disbanded and moved on,so I'm on my own. There is a big old strip mine near my home that has been a good crossing over the years. Good high ground and the potential for a 600yd oppertunity. I've got a tweaked M700 300 Ultra Mag here that needs some field time. The bullet shelf is home to these choices. 200gr Sierra boat tails, 200gr AccuBonds, 180gr MagTips, 180gr Hornady Spire points, 165gr Hornady Spires, 165gr AccuBonds, 150gr AccuBonds and 150 Hornady Spire Points. The rifle will shoot all the above weights sub MOA, with a slight edge going to the 180. Bear here can range from 100 to 600 lbs. with 250 to 400 being the average. Muzzle to 600yds,potentially any weight bear. I'm leaning toward the 200 Sierra. What do you all think?

They do shoot well in this particular 300. I'm away from the man cave and my notes,but I'm thinking the sweet spot was 95gr of Retumbo and a Fed magnum primer. Just on the lands, no jam. With all the hubbub about Accubonds these days and smaller, lighter critters, I was just curious what the opinion would be. I've never chronied these for an actual reading on the speed,but "Old Cruncher" should retain enough medicine at the longer ranges to open the 200gr. I would think anyway.

of those , the 200 sierra would be at the top . the one that shoots the smallest group at the distance you are going to shoot your trophy would be at the top . all of them will do it.

200gr accubond would definetely be my pick.

However much more importantly, do you have drop and drift charts for these bullets? Since you haven't chronoed these loads, you'll either have to do
it the old school way or borrow a chronograph, use a ballistics program, then validate it.

You'll also need a good rangefinder, my old one had trouble ranging black objects or critters. Now my swaro... Well... Click, range.

Well, I have a chrony. The ballistics program is still a dream though. I'm thinking about attending a couple of the 1,000yd shoots here at the Ridgeway club. I've shot in a 400yd br match near here,but never beyond that. With the exception of woodchuckin' anyway. When I was competing in the 100/200yd br for score,I got a good lesson in wind drift. I was amazed with the effect it had on a 87gr 6ppc round. Even at only 200yds. What's the poop on ballistic programs now? I've been thinking about delving into it,but don't know anyone with firsthand experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :).

OMG! I need a corespondance course. I think I better find someone local to talk me through this stuff. I can see the potential for getting in too deep too quick. A degree in physics would help.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts