Gas Key Cleaning

Okanogan

I was cleaning up my bolt carrier and bolt after a range day and got the bright idea to try and clean the tube with a Q-tip with carbon cleaner. Don't try this at home!
The head of the Q-tip came off inside the tube jamming it completely. I was able to work a little bit back out but frankly there is no way I could find to do a decent job in removing the Q-tip from a staked gas key. I ended up shooting the residue out and then recleaning up the bolt carrier group.
I don't know how others clean their key, or if it is even necessary but the Q-tip method is definitely out for me in the future.

pipe cleaner or worn out 22 bronze bore brush if you really want to clean it, but the high pressure and high heat tend to keep it pretty clean by just firing it
if you really want to buy a tool to clean it with then brownells sells this one 749-000-648WS

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.