Game prayer.

C-130 Dude

When I was a very young boy, my uncle said a beautiful prayer at the side of my first deer claim. I only heard it once. He passed early the next year. I have tried for over 40 years to remember what he said. Do any of you folks have a "game prayer" you say at your game claim side? I have heard a couple of native Indian prayers, but would like to hear any you would like to share.

I don't have anything to contribute but it might help if you could provide a bit more information like your grandfathers heritage or any other information that may be relevant to the origin of the prayer. Was it English or another language, etc? I'd be curious to hear it if it could be found!

I don't have anything to contribute but it might help if you could provide a bit more information like your grandfathers heritage or any other information that may be relevant to the origin of the prayer. Was it English or another language, etc? I'd be curious to hear it if it could be found!
He said it english. He and family was from Michigan. Went back to northern Europe. It was very moving as I remember. I am very curious also.

When I was a very young boy, my uncle said a beautiful prayer at the side of my first deer claim. I only heard it once. He passed early the next year. I have tried for over 40 years to remember what he said. Do any of you folks have a "game prayer" you say at your game claim side? I have heard a couple of native Indian prayers, but would like to hear any you would like to share.

Maybe some of the family members can recall the prayer. Would be interesting to hear.

Maybe some of the family members can recall the prayer. Would be interesting to hear.
Unfortunately, they have all passed. I am trying to gain some sort of recollection of the prayer. Or one similar. I need to pass this on to my grand kids. Its important for new hunters to learn how we have hunted and the many reasons we do. Not all meats come from the supermarket. My current thoughts are sorrowly lacking. Which is not acceptable. Any game prayers that folks have would be welcome.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, they have all passed. I am trying to gain some sort of recollection of the prayer. Or one similar. I need to pass this on to my grand kids. Its important for new hunters to learn how we have hunted and the many reasons we do. Not all meats come from the supermarket. My current thoughts are sorrowly lacking. Which is not acceptable. Any game prayers that folks have would be welcome.

Your reason for what you're wanting to do is awesome.
I just give thanks for the kill when I do make a kill. No kind of repeated ritual.

It should be a different prayer each time reflect on how the hunt was thank God for the blessings of the hunt the grounds and nature of the hunt and the ones that taught you along the way! Thank him for the animal he provided and the food it brings! Never forget the health and well being of your soul physically and emotionally… and remember God always provides

It should be a different prayer each time reflect on how the hunt was thank God for the blessings of the hunt the grounds and nature of the hunt and the ones that taught you along the way! Thank him for the animal he provided and the food it brings! Never forget the health and well being of your soul physically and emotionally… and remember God always provides
Nice. Thanks!

I honor them in the way I was taught by a Lakota Indian who I know and sweat with. I don't know if I'm doing it right but I try. The spirits will acknowledge your respect regardless of how you show it, and most hunters do not show very much if any respect for the game they take so do what feels right and you'll be ahead of the curve.

I honor them in the way I was taught by a Lakota Indian who I know and sweat with. I don't know if I'm doing it right but I try. The spirits will acknowledge your respect regardless of how you show it, and most hunters do not show very much if any respect for the game they take so do what feels right and you'll be ahead of the curve.
Thanks!
This isnt the one im trying to find, but it is a good one. This is one of the ones I remember:

Dear Lord, thank you for this wonderful day, and thank you for this wonderful gift. May this deer's body nourish our bodies, and may its memory nourish our souls.

Last edited: