Game Measurements

GRainwater

The following data expands on the question regarding mule deer measurements. It comes from a number of different sources and includes some guess work.
Brisket & height in ft.Avg. Big Avg-ft Big-ft.
Pronghorn 15 16 2.5 3.5
S. Whitetail 16 18 3.2 3.5
N. Whitetail 18 20 3.5 4
Muledeer 18 20 4 6
Caribou 21 24 3.5 4.6
Bull Elk 28 32 5 5.5
Moose (Alaskan) 40 45 7 7.7
Moose (Shiras) 35 38
Moose (Canadian) 40 45
Springbuck 12
Impala 16
Gemsbuck 22
Blue Wildebeest 25
Kudu 26
Eland 38

flopduster

for southern deer I use 32"length(sternum to rump) for average does(100-110lbs) and 36" for average buck(150-175lbs). I measured 8-10 does and 4-5 bucks to get these numbers. My mil-dot ranging chart is based on these numbers(incidentaly, these numbers are exactly double the brisket to back measurments so it is easy to divide the yardage in half if i have to use the body depth to range instead of body length.

skidlyman

hmmmm Mule deer 4' to 6' high at the shoulders ....... 6 ft! i'd never seen a mule deer THAT tall, LOL anyone else want to add some guesses. I'm really concerned with ranging Elk. any help would be GREATLY appreciated

[ 11-08-2003: Message edited by: skidlyman ]

[ 11-09-2003: Message edited by: skidlyman ]

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce