Critter measurements

S1

I often hear tales about 200 pound deer in this area, never seen one in person! I've seen some fairly big deer in other areas, shot a 220 pound field dressed (smallish) Alberta buck. Got a couple 175 (plus or minus) pound Wisconsin buck deer, most in the 150 to 160 pound range.
Every once in a while here we get a 130 to 135 pound (field dressed) deer season doe (biggest doe pool winner usually). I have seen a few shot during deer season that would almost fit in a glove compartment (40 pound range). I once shot a pair of does that I tied up like luggage after field dressing and carried the pair about 1.5 miles back to the car...burger deer...one burger per deer
wink.gif

The deer I'm measuring now are depredation deer, mostly dry does, young or too ugly to have been bred
wink.gif
. Good test subjects for measurements, terminal effects, etc.

BUT...there are big deer here, I just don't happen to be lucky enought to get any of them! Maybe I just don't shoot enough deer
wink.gif

I have measure 3 good sized buck antelope.
Two were 15", top of back to bottom of chest, the other was 14".
The two bigger ones were in Wyoming, the smaller in Utah last year in a really bad drought.

I have measure two mulie bucks with big racks.
One was 18" and the other was 16" Top of back to bottom of chest.
The 18" was the last day of October in Idaho in the winter coat and he was very heavy bodied.
The 16" was the 15th day of September in Wyoming in the summer coat and he was a much smaller bodied deer.

I also have measure Idaho coyotes if anyone is interested. I hunt them a lot.
10" from top of back to bottom of chest on coyotes of appx. 30 to 35lbs. A few inches of that is hair. Their actual bodies are only about 6".

Hey notoofar-- watchya using on those dogs-- rifle/scope/bullets? Any long-rangers with your equipment, and if so how far?

Cow Elk
24" back to bottom of chest.
200 lb butcher scaled (skinned no head)
Utah, January deprecition hunt

sscoyote,
Using an H-S Precision, 26" barrel, .300 win mag. 165gr ballistic tips at 3430 fps.
Sightron SII 4x16 mildot scope.
0 at 300 yards. Holdover is right on the first dot at 500 yards at 16x.

The coyote fits perfectly between the crosshairs and the first mildot at 330 yards.
660 at the half mark.
I use the mildot for range finding on the coyotes and then the holdover to hit them.
It is very difficult to get readings from a lazer rangefinder on the flat white featureless landscape of the wheat field.

It takes a lot of practice to estimate where to hold over using the mildot. The mildot system would be vastly improved by putting small 1/4 marks on the reticle.
I do not like to use the click system of elevation adjustment as I have learned that the clicks never seem to put you exactly where you think they will, normally requiring a shot or two to "settle in".

I was 3 for 3 with 4 shots on coyotes over 450 yards this year. I shot right over the last ones back at appx. 300 yards, I ki yi'd to stop him again at 464 yards and dropped him. One at 456 paces, one at 458 paces and one at 464 paces. All shots off a Harris bipod.
I hunt in a big winter wheat field call them to the top of the nearest hill where they will sit for awhile but come no closer.
SS have you been doing any long range coyote shooting?? What is your setup??

Animal Measurement

Adjusted Actual Distance
Moose 36" shoulder to brisket
Big Moose 40" shoulder to brisket
Elk 24" shoulder to brisket
Sheep 22" shoulder to brisket
Dear 18" shoulder to brisket
Chuck 18" full length standing
Antelope 14" shoulder to brisket
Mountain Lion 12" shoulder to brisket
Coyote 9" shoulder to brisket
Gopher 9" shoulder to brisket

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts