Gain additional velocity by shooting prone ...

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by FEENIX, Dec 2, 2018.

1. CJS-6.5

CJS-6.5 Active Member

I want a muzzle brake so powerful that the bullet barely moves and the rifle jumps forward instead of backward.

adam32 likes this.
  2. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

so if the earth weighed twice what it does, then a rocket ship leaving the earth would be traveling faster?

adam32 and Vortex! like this.
  3. CJS-6.5

CJS-6.5 Active Member

Yes. And it causes earthquakes. On the other side of the world.

Vortex! likes this.
  4. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

hahahahahahaha awesome!!!!!!

5. Vortex!

Vortex! Well-Known Member

Now that's funny!! :D:D:D

6. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

lol I’m glad someone got my humour.

7. the hunter

the hunter Well-Known Member

8. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

the hunter likes this.
  9. Bravo 4

The butterfly effect, next thing you know you’ll be shanking a guy in the junk while in prison.

Canhunter35 likes this.
  10. the hunter

the hunter Well-Known Member

You know that I'am joking.

11. Capt RB

Capt RB Well-Known Member

I teach new shooters for their pistol permit here in Mass. I have a berretta 92fs and an 84 along with a custom 1911 in 9mm a hi standard 22 and 2 revolvers 1,.22 and 1 9mm. If a student doesn't hold the semi autos with a good grip they don't cycle well and will jam. Shooting my 92 I can run any store bought ammo through it without issue. I have about 16000 through it and 2 jams. 1 was load that had no powder and the other was a squib load. Both were store bought. Today I had a woman that jammed the 1911 5 out of 5 times due to not hanging on.
    The same thing happens with recoil management of a rifle. Prone you get more purchase on the rifle to control movement. This will produce more consistency than a hard hold on a bench.
    Now a free recoil bench shooter strives for the exact same thing. The design of his stock and the weight balance is what controls his recoil. If he has it perfect along with a load that is in barrel node he will excel. If his bag gets sticky for an inconsistent movement in the recoil pulse he will see it on target.
    I see alot of people throw some shade on the idea. The man who is describing it will have the trigger time and the data books that back it up. There are many good shooters here and a few great ones. Get yourself a lab radar and see for yourself.

Rymart, RockyMtnMT and the hunter like this.
  12. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Sorry MR, that's just factually false. The "equal and opposite" reaction begins the split second the powder is touched off.

I saw an interesting demonstration years ago where they suspended a rifle by wires and fired it electronically comparing true recoil forces between braked and unbraked rifles. It was shot in slow motion with extremely high speed cameras and provided very good demonstration of the principle.

This is how it was determined experimentally that roughly 70% of recoil is due to the "rocket motor effect" with the remainder being simply due to the shifting mass. It's also the reason things like spring loaded recoil buffers and mercury recoil reducers actually work.

If any of you really wanted to prove this for yourselves you could compare velocities for equal loads using something like a lead sled vs a rifle allowed to free recoil on a slide.

Greyfox likes this.
  13. Bravo 4

Absolutely!

14. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

I love the fact that there's a little disclaimer about the Labradar not picking up readings. Right off the bat the results are suspect. I will admit though that Frank is a smart guy with a lot more experience than I have, so I'll file this in the "plausible" category.

This seems like a great example of of causation, correlation, coincidence or irrelevance. I tend to think it's more irrelevant than anything. Although I do like the idea of gaining weight to increase my velocity.....

adam32 likes this.