Full length or only neck

joel0407

Quote Modify
I am still waiting on a RCBS 3 die set to come in here in Australia. I found a Redding type-S Full Length bushing die + comp Seating die set.

I have always only neck sized in the 270win but some are suggesting I full length resize with the 300rum. The Redding set is also a bushing die which is another advantage.

I have had the rifle for 2 weeks now and still cant use it

When I neck size, I almost never size the entire neck, as the un-resized portion centers the cartridge perfectly in the chamber. I usually leave 1/10" un-resized.

AJ

get the FL die and never look back. personally i will never get another RCBS die. have heard many people having serious trouble with them and i have had 2 that wouldn't size brass correctly.
my personal opinion is that production barrels might see an improvement in accuracy with neck sizing. the tolerances in the neck and throat areas are greater and a tighter fitting cartridge with the bullet touching the rifling generally helps accuracy because things are lined up straighter. with a good barrel and chamber my personal rifles shoot better with FL sized brass and bullets away from the lands.

I strongly recommend the Lee Collet Dies for neck resizing. It controls run out better than full length dies and I feel it is easier on brass also.

Got to agree with dave.

You run magnum cartridges at top end (which a lot do here) and only neck size you are going to get the shoulders moving forward and hard chambering soon. Cases will expand at the base and the shoulder. Be prepared to size that or throw them away. Better check each loaded cartridge and see if it will chamber, if you neck size only before you go afield or you might get a surprise.

Neck sizing does zero to fix that, only bumping the shoulder back with a FL or body die.

A correctly fitting and properly adjusted FL die saves cases so no advantage to NS only, but lot of disadvantages.

At least FL size every 2-3x.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.