• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

From the good people at Powder Valley

This was posted on the PV Facebook page a few minutes ago...

PRIMERS!!!
OK, now that I have your attention I'd like to share two phone calls I have received this week. Both phone calls were from ammo manufacturers who have a "surplus" of primers. Now, before you go all ape s... on some of the big name folks out there I'll let you know these aren't the big name folks. But, these folks have obviously been resourceful and got their hands on some domestic and foreign primers. In the first case the OEM had 4 million primers he was willing to part with at the amazing price of $0.17 per primer. The second OEM was willing to part with all 2.4 million primers he had for a price of $0.20 per primer. Honestly, we could have probably purchased them all and sold them all and made a profit. So, you ask "Why didn't you?" This answer is two fold
(1) We would sell every dang one but at the same time be absolutely crucified by customers and the shooting community for "gouging".
(2) I believe in the American spirit of capitalism. I admire these folks for being resourceful and sourcing these primers and trying to make a buck. However, I don't agree with how it's happening. I won't be the source of their profiteering. I'd rather just sell the minimal primers we're getting from the manufacturers themselves and be able to charge what I believe is a fair price.
Now, don't get me wrong. If someone came to us at what we believe to be a fair price and I could keep the prices somewhat reasonable I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, not at those prices.
But, I do ask for you guys to keep this in mind when you're seeing what you believe to be outrageous prices. Just because the retailer is selling at a high price doesn't mean they are gouging. Everyone in the industry is scrounging to find inventory to be able to sell. Sometimes we find the inventory and take a risk by buying it at a higher price just so we have something available to sell.
Just wanted to throw out an example so you all can see what's going on. What you see is not always what is truly happening.
I just got back into reloading (or rather wanted to) for center fire bolt guns after a 20 year hiatus when I decided to build a .308. As I dusted off my equipment and started looking for powder and primers, I became quickly discouraged, especially after finding everyone is out of stock, every day, except for the robber barons on Gunbroker.

Careful, PV is a bit smoke and mirrors. Another company owned by them "Ammo fast" is gouging on several types of loaded ammunition. Hornady 6.5 PRC at their price is 99.95. I have a friend that owns a shop and his whole costs have gone up 15-20% depending on the product which is no where near the 150% increase PV is showing.

I'm not saying I won't buy from them, but I **** sure won't pat them on the back.

Last edited:
You guys can jump on my A## also, I bought 16lbs of H1000 a year ago not 2013. Why 16lbs you ask because i load for 4 rifles that eat the stuff and at 85 grains a round in one it goes quick.
I doubt anyone is going to jump your arse if you bought twice that amount for legitimate personal use. Now, if you bought it to jack up the price, and resell it to make an obscene profit, that would be a different story.

This was posted on the PV Facebook page a few minutes ago...

PRIMERS!!!
OK, now that I have your attention I'd like to share two phone calls I have received this week. Both phone calls were from ammo manufacturers who have a "surplus" of primers. Now, before you go all ape s... on some of the big name folks out there I'll let you know these aren't the big name folks. But, these folks have obviously been resourceful and got their hands on some domestic and foreign primers. In the first case the OEM had 4 million primers he was willing to part with at the amazing price of $0.17 per primer. The second OEM was willing to part with all 2.4 million primers he had for a price of $0.20 per primer. Honestly, we could have probably purchased them all and sold them all and made a profit. So, you ask "Why didn't you?" This answer is two fold
(1) We would sell every dang one but at the same time be absolutely crucified by customers and the shooting community for "gouging".
(2) I believe in the American spirit of capitalism. I admire these folks for being resourceful and sourcing these primers and trying to make a buck. However, I don't agree with how it's happening. I won't be the source of their profiteering. I'd rather just sell the minimal primers we're getting from the manufacturers themselves and be able to charge what I believe is a fair price.
Now, don't get me wrong. If someone came to us at what we believe to be a fair price and I could keep the prices somewhat reasonable I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, not at those prices.
But, I do ask for you guys to keep this in mind when you're seeing what you believe to be outrageous prices. Just because the retailer is selling at a high price doesn't mean they are gouging. Everyone in the industry is scrounging to find inventory to be able to sell. Sometimes we find the inventory and take a risk by buying it at a higher price just so we have something available to sell.
Just wanted to throw out an example so you all can see what's going on. What you see is not always what is truly happening.
Respect for powder valley for both not buying them and for the explanation as to why!

cry-baby24.jpg

How long is it going to take for everyone to come to their senses and just buy what they really need for the year so things can get back to normal?
This is completely self inflicted and now it's being perpetuated by the same people.
Great ! Here I am, waiting for the masses to become aware of the situation and act appropriately. I guess it may never happen.

Assuming that there are a lot of people (not necessarily on this forum) who have stocked up for a SHTF moment, they apparently haven't considered that at such a time how much can you actually carry with you and will you make it back home when you run out?

What was I thinking??? I should have known long before I built my rifle exactly what type of bullets the rifle would like, what powder, what primers....

Should have known of other builds I was going to do by going to a psychic to tell me my future...

Or that I was going to invest in reloading because a friend worked with me on the process.
If I had 20/20 forward sight I wouldn't need a psychic, and I do have 20/20 rear sight. I agree I should have know, what I was going to build today, I could have purchase them in years before. I am having to expand my views on powder to use for sure. I am petty pat on what powders I use, and have for those rifles. New rifle requires different powder I believe. I am getting what I can presently, to support that new rifle. I am down to powder and cases. I can fire form cases if need be, and I have those case on hand. Reloading practices do change over the time, and new needs or requirement come about. Dam should have seen it coming. Oh great spirit tell me.

The new guys that I know had zero problem getting ammo because the gun sellers held back ammo to sell them.

Recent gun show. Well over 1000 new guns for sale. ALL dealers had ammo to sell IF you bought a gun.

Waiting for your next exercise in ad hominem posts.
Did they hold back powder, primers, and brass too? Reread my post. Not everyone was able to buy ammo with a new firearm let a lone had enough to go shooting. The ammo shortage problem continues to effect new and existing shooting sports. "Zero problems getting ammo'', please lay off the bong.

Love seeing that from PV. Don't be an enabler.

Frontier, by the same measure, just because you want to hoard stuff doesn't mean the rest of us didn't plan ahead as well. The difference? I SHOOT. I shoot A LOT. I don't hoard reloading supplies and then wag a finger at people because they don't have a consumable on hand, I actually USE IT.

I too bought tens of thousands of primers and 100s of pounds of powder. Its gone, I shot it. You see, that's what this stuff is for, you put it all together and then you go out and SHOOT IT.

So save us your indignation. We are all very happy that you have a bunch of stuff you don't use. Bravo, you are officially a hoarder. When you become a shooter, check back in with us.
That is the difference between stock on hand and
Love seeing that from PV. Don't be an enabler.

Frontier, by the same measure, just because you want to hoard stuff doesn't mean the rest of us didn't plan ahead as well. The difference? I SHOOT. I shoot A LOT. I don't hoard reloading supplies and then wag a finger at people because they don't have a consumable on hand, I actually USE IT.

I too bought tens of thousands of primers and 100s of pounds of powder. Its gone, I shot it. You see, that's what this stuff is for, you put it all together and then you go out and SHOOT IT.

So save us your indignation. We are all very happy that you have a bunch of stuff you don't use. Bravo, you are officially a hoarder. When you become a shooter, check back in with us.
When I get a new barrel, I try and get all the components necessary to burn out that barrel, nothing more. I only buy what I plan on using and consider it stock on hand. I have a new barrel ordered but haven't picked up any components yet. Hopefully things calm down before the barrel gets here.

When I get a new barrel, I try and get all the components necessary to burn out that barrel, nothing more. I only buy what I plan on using and consider it stock on hand. I have a new barrel ordered but haven't picked up any components yet. Hopefully things calm down before the barrel gets here.

That seems like a sound policy and I do the same thing for the most part. It's nice to get it all in same lots (brass, powder, primers and bullets)

I should say I USED to do that, and it WAS nice to get it all in same lots, etc. I'll burn down 3 barrels this year while being conservative because you can't find components.

But hey, if I had just bought my components 3 presidents ago I'd be set right? Or maybe one day I'll be good enough that I don't have to shoot anymore like that other guy. <eyeroll>

Recent Posts