• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

From the good people at Powder Valley

Well I hope the factory ammo shooters start buying reloading equipment and components when things get back to normal. I dont wanna sound like I told you so but I heard plenty on this forum say why reload when I can buy factory ammo thats just as accurate. Ive got a friend of mine who shoots PRS that bought all factory ammo and has enough he said for a couple matches then hes out lucky for him he bought powder, bullets, and he's gonna have to reload but he's never done it so I told him I will help him out.

I agree with this, but...

If a person figures all of that out, and no components are around, they still go ahead and order the parts needed for the build. If the parts arrive and still no components, no worries, the build still has to be completed and that takes time, too. If the build completes, and STILL no components....paper weight.

I lucked out- I have a switch barrel being built currently. I ordered all of the parts last August and got them late November/early December. At the time I ordered the parts for my build, I was able to get brass or already had it. Primers, too, and bullets for one of the barrels. What I did not have were powders for either, or bullets for one of the barrels. I have been VERY lucky in that I was able to find everything earlier this year, though I'm pretty short on one of the powders.

If I had needed primers though, or wasn't able to trade for some things, I'd have been hosed. I think many people are in that boat, especially new reloaders or people who have a couple cartridges they load for but are expanding their horizons- they probably don't have much, if anything, to barter or reuse.

That is why I think it is silly for some folks to take the "failure to plan is planning to fail" attitude here. Nobody plans for the world to be shut down for over a year- even if you had a gut feeling and were able to stock up, you probably burned through quite a bit if you were shooting semi-regularly. Spending tens of thousands of dollars in the off chance that you need to be stocked up for an 8 year shortage is just something that very few people have the capacity to do. I'm not saying you are taking that attitude- I'm saying that a few people on here are, and they probably just need to keep their collective mouths shut because they're only looking to poke some bears.

For that matter, I should probably keep mine shut as well, haha!
The reason I asked not to take this wrong & stated it has nothing to do with the shortage is because my post had nothing to do with handling shortages and this could have been the wrong place to put it.

I saw the reference to not knowing what bullets my rifle will like and was presenting a build method I got from Brian Litz. It did happen to help me as the components the Berger Techs thought would give top performance worked and I was fortunate to find those reloading components before the build was completed.

I had always had my custom built with a more general purpose, but what Litz said made sense and happen to work for me. When I say work for me I don't mean the shortage. I'm getting better performance than even any 6.5 SAUMs I've run across and I think it all came from knowing which bullet I wanted to shoot.

My custom 300 WM built before hearing Litz is more typical. It didn't like most of the bullets I wanted to shoot after getting it. Through trial & error I found it loves the 190 & 200 MKs. Just one ragged hole at 300 yds. My home shooting range maxes out at 300 yds. I did not pick my bullets and build around that bullet. I thought Litz's recommendation was a novel way to plan a build.

Well I hope the factory ammo shooters start buying reloading equipment and components when things get back to normal. I dont wanna sound like I told you so but I heard plenty on this forum say why reload when I can buy factory ammo thats just as accurate. Ive got a friend of mine who shoots PRS that bought all factory ammo and has enough he said for a couple matches then hes out lucky for him he bought powder, bullets, and he's gonna have to reload but he's never done it so I told him I will help him out.
Except for military I haven't shot a pre-loaded round in over 45 years. Even when young I never reloaded to save money. It was always because I could make a more accurate round for whatever rifle I was shooting than factory.

Now, I will continue to reload for precision, but with the added bonus of saving lots of money. The prices I've seen on ammo is crazy.

hell, I bought components my whole life when I saw I could make a living at this I jumped on it. I've always wanted to do custom ammo loading but never could afford it. Thanks to comrade Biden my components were worth ten times what I paid for them so I sold them and started my own business. I've bought 30000 primers and all the stuff to keep making that cheese come, so a few smart people are killing it. That something to think about I saw a need for ammo and I said I can fix that problem and make a killing at the same time. I share to people on this site I don't sell on this site but I've traded for primers as well as giving some away on this site. It's like everything else if u want it bad enough you'll pay for it. I do buy on gun broker only because I have to for components, I've got enough customers I don't need them for sales anymore. The commute is awesome all I have to do is go downstairs. ps sorry if i bought too much stuff but I am giving back to the local shooters at a fair price.

I get you can't be 100% self sufficient but you don't need to think you can run to the store and buy ammo whenever you want.
Everybody makes mistakes learn a good one this time.

This was posted on the PV Facebook page a few minutes ago...

PRIMERS!!!
OK, now that I have your attention I'd like to share two phone calls I have received this week. Both phone calls were from ammo manufacturers who have a "surplus" of primers. Now, before you go all ape s... on some of the big name folks out there I'll let you know these aren't the big name folks. But, these folks have obviously been resourceful and got their hands on some domestic and foreign primers. In the first case the OEM had 4 million primers he was willing to part with at the amazing price of $0.17 per primer. The second OEM was willing to part with all 2.4 million primers he had for a price of $0.20 per primer. Honestly, we could have probably purchased them all and sold them all and made a profit. So, you ask "Why didn't you?" This answer is two fold
(1) We would sell every dang one but at the same time be absolutely crucified by customers and the shooting community for "gouging".
(2) I believe in the American spirit of capitalism. I admire these folks for being resourceful and sourcing these primers and trying to make a buck. However, I don't agree with how it's happening. I won't be the source of their profiteering. I'd rather just sell the minimal primers we're getting from the manufacturers themselves and be able to charge what I believe is a fair price.
Now, don't get me wrong. If someone came to us at what we believe to be a fair price and I could keep the prices somewhat reasonable I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, not at those prices.
But, I do ask for you guys to keep this in mind when you're seeing what you believe to be outrageous prices. Just because the retailer is selling at a high price doesn't mean they are gouging. Everyone in the industry is scrounging to find inventory to be able to sell. Sometimes we find the inventory and take a risk by buying it at a higher price just so we have something available to sell.
Just wanted to throw out an example so you all can see what's going on. What you see is not always what is truly happening.

This was posted on the PV Facebook page a few minutes ago...

PRIMERS!!!
OK, now that I have your attention I'd like to share two phone calls I have received this week. Both phone calls were from ammo manufacturers who have a "surplus" of primers. Now, before you go all ape s... on some of the big name folks out there I'll let you know these aren't the big name folks. But, these folks have obviously been resourceful and got their hands on some domestic and foreign primers. In the first case the OEM had 4 million primers he was willing to part with at the amazing price of $0.17 per primer. The second OEM was willing to part with all 2.4 million primers he had for a price of $0.20 per primer. Honestly, we could have probably purchased them all and sold them all and made a profit. So, you ask "Why didn't you?" This answer is two fold
(1) We would sell every dang one but at the same time be absolutely crucified by customers and the shooting community for "gouging".
(2) I believe in the American spirit of capitalism. I admire these folks for being resourceful and sourcing these primers and trying to make a buck. However, I don't agree with how it's happening. I won't be the source of their profiteering. I'd rather just sell the minimal primers we're getting from the manufacturers themselves and be able to charge what I believe is a fair price.
Now, don't get me wrong. If someone came to us at what we believe to be a fair price and I could keep the prices somewhat reasonable I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, not at those prices.
But, I do ask for you guys to keep this in mind when you're seeing what you believe to be outrageous prices. Just because the retailer is selling at a high price doesn't mean they are gouging. Everyone in the industry is scrounging to find inventory to be able to sell. Sometimes we find the inventory and take a risk by buying it at a higher price just so we have something available to sell.
Just wanted to throw out an example so you all can see what's going on. What you see is not always what is truly happening.
Hey folks,
After some diligent searching I was able to get everything that I think I'll need until this bs blows over, or even if it doesn't. With what ammo I have on hand this ought to last for whatever comes my way. It wasn't cheap buy any stretch of the imagination but thanks to Congress I had $1400 to blow on whatever, so the Wife said, "Get it!". So I did!
Good hunting everyone.
And y'all be nice to each other here. We're all in this together, pool our resources, make friends!
Good luck.
DocB

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_084543026.jpg
    IMG_20210430_084543026.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68
Hey folks,
After some diligent searching I was able to get everything that I think I'll need until this bs blows over, or even if it doesn't. With what ammo I have on hand this ought to last for whatever comes my way. It wasn't cheap buy any stretch of the imagination but thanks to Congress I had $1400 to blow on whatever, so the Wife said, "Get it!". So I did!
Good hunting everyone.
And y'all be nice to each other here. We're all in this together, pool our resources, make friends!
Good luck.
DocB
Ammo is meant to be shot.
Just like money's meant to be spent.

If a person figures all of that out, and no components are around, they still go ahead and order the parts needed for the build. If the parts arrive and still no components, no worries, the build still has to be completed and that takes time, too. If the build completes, and STILL no components....paper weight.

I lucked out- I have a switch barrel being built currently. I ordered all of the parts last August and got them late November/early December. At the time I ordered the parts for my build, I was able to get brass or already had it. Primers, too, and bullets for one of the barrels. What I did not have were powders for either, or bullets for one of the barrels. I have been VERY lucky in that I was able to find everything earlier this year, though I'm pretty short on one of the powders.

If I had needed primers though, or wasn't able to trade for some things, I'd have been hosed. I think many people are in that boat, especially new reloaders or people who have a couple cartridges they load for but are expanding their horizons- they probably don't have much, if anything, to barter or reuse.

That is why I think it is silly for some folks to take the "failure to plan is planning to fail" attitude here. Nobody plans for the world to be shut down for over a year- even if you had a gut feeling and were able to stock up, you probably burned through quite a bit if you were shooting semi-regularly. Spending tens of thousands of dollars in the off chance that you need to be stocked up for an 8 year shortage is just something that very few people have the capacity to do. I'm not saying you are taking that attitude- I'm saying that a few people on here are, and they probably just need to keep their collective mouths shut because they're only looking to poke some bears.

Most people do not know the origination of the phrase "hosed". It did not mean someone squirted you with a garden hose. It was in reference from the computer world, it was an acronym for "hardware or software error detected".

Hey folks,
Good hunting everyone.
Good luck.
DocB
Good for you. Even if you are hoarding. 🤣🤣🤣

Just kidding. 👍🇺🇲

NAFTA killed our domestic lumber industry, for a lot of years we enjoyed cheap Canadian lumber, no one ever complained about how absurdly cheap lumber prices got, except timber farmers and mill operators. The recent stop/start renegotiation of NAFTA threw the lumber industry into chaos, coupled real inflation and a spike in demand for housing.....gives you a real **** show

Home building has gone crazy and with prices to match here in Florida. In fact some Northerners are buying homes in Florida sight unseen. Guess they're tired of the Northeast US BS.

Even the squirrel and bear plan a head , just in different ways.People that scavenged did not last as long g as those that planted and stored.

hell, I bought components my whole life when I saw I could make a living at this I jumped on it. I've always wanted to do custom ammo loading but never could afford it. Thanks to comrade Biden my components were worth ten times what I paid for them so I sold them and started my own business. I've bought 30000 primers and all the stuff to keep making that cheese come, so a few smart people are killing it. That something to think about I saw a need for ammo and I said I can fix that problem and make a killing at the same time. I share to people on this site I don't sell on this site but I've traded for primers as well as giving some away on this site. It's like everything else if u want it bad enough you'll pay for it. I do buy on gun broker only because I have to for components, I've got enough customers I don't need them for sales anymore. The commute is awesome all I have to do is go downstairs. ps sorry if i bought too much stuff but I am giving back to the local shooters at a fair price.
I hope you have a Manufacturing license.Also you need mucho liability insurance.If your home insurance company finds out you are doing this,they will probably cancel your insurance.Not trying to be negative,but there are many things one must do to manufacture ammo.Actually you are not even allowed to reload ammo for a friend.The BATF will stick it too you if they can.

Well stated but some of us are planning for firearms and ammo to be shut down forever.....